Author Topic: Another new member here....  (Read 603 times)

cw000de and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline nzmike

• XR Member
Another new member here....
on: November 01, 2020, 04:50:28 AM
Hi all,

Was just doing some (more!!) research on the F900R as I've not got mine yet and came across this forum so I joined straight away and now look forward to getting lots of info from my other F900(X)R owners.

A bit about me - I'm the wrong the side of 50 (though not by much) and am from New Zealand but have lived in Sydney, Australia since 2001.  I came back to biking about 10 years ago after a 20+ year gap (though I've always had scooters for zipping around the city and commuting). Recent bikes have been: 2013 F700GS, 2014 R nine T, 2016 Yamaha MT07 HO, 2017 Honda VFR 800F. 

I'm now looking to buy a new bike and having looked at lots of different options I just can't go past the F900R - always been a BMW fan anyway and all the amazing reviews and what you get in the package plus the performance and torque, that amazing TFT (etc etc) has meant it's a no brainer.  I've not even ridden one yet but will do in the next week or so (when the stupid spring rain here in Sydney finally buggers off!) and will probably buy one straight away assuming it's as good as everyone says it is! 

Mike

Online sparky12353

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Wrexham
Re: Another new member here....
Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:51:06 AM
welcome and yeah  great bike the 900r,  :062:  but try the XR as well you'll be surprised :005: how much better it is riding for men of our age lol

Offline nzmike

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: November 01, 2020, 08:31:32 AM
Thanks sparky!  I do love the look of the XR but unfortunately I'm only 168cm (5" 5') tall so I don't think I'd have a hope of touching the floor.  Plus it's a lot more expensive here in Australia.  And I don't really want the low suspension version as it seems to me it defeats the purpose of the XR (and from what I've read t affects the ride).

Anyway, I'll try one if I can but as a rule I won't buy any bike that I'm tippy-toeing on, especially heavier bikes like BMW's.

Online sparky12353

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Wrexham
Reply #3 on: November 01, 2020, 08:48:30 AM
lol then at 5ft 5 the R is your best option :028: I must admit I was in two minds but for me, I found mine for sale as an x demonstrator so 1300 off the list price,  plus  I could have it the next day  so no waiting for it, just a shame that the XR does not come in the blue  that would have been my preference,
stay lucky and ride safe   

Online LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 06:30:01 AM
Hi Mike .I am just under 5'5" and just managed the 900 XR. with the low seat. I have lowered my bike by 2" as I do have my better half on the back quite often. The bike handles well and is similar to my R1200RS. But it's you who has to be comfortable. Enjoy :400:
Leon

Offline Greg900

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 06:52:42 PM
how did you lower the Xr

Online LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 05:08:19 AM
Hi. We have a company here called Suspensions r us. They use Wilbers Suspension and lower the bike Front and Rear by either 30 or 50 mm.
Centre Stand needs to be removed and Side stand works fine. Leon 

Online Astro

• XR Member
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 07:45:05 AM
Perhaps get a ride on an XR with the low seat first. My XR has the taller comfort seat, which is higher than stock, which is higher than the low seat. I'm 5'10" and I'm flat footed at the lights. But to be fair, I've only got small kahoonas. If you've got mangoes, it might be different. 👍

Online LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: January 17, 2021, 09:14:47 AM
If your Kahunas are that large perhaps you need to put them under your armpits LOL. :047: :150: :046:

Online Astro

• XR Member
Reply #9 on: January 17, 2021, 09:16:26 AM
*Originally Posted by LP17 [+]
If your Kahunas are that large perhaps you need to put them under your armpits LOL. :047: :150: :046:

I'm not the guy to ask......😁

strongminded