Author Topic: Crash Bars Aftermarket  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Crash Bars Aftermarket
on: October 28, 2020, 01:48:09 AM
Have purchased a set of SW-Motech crash bars which are designed for F900XR. Installation instructions look straightforward and highlight critical steps well. Havenít installed yet and wondering if anyone else has done this?  Main anchor points are the engine mount bolts which seems a good option. I will have to crack these studs slightly and then use the torque wrench on increasingly higher settings to reverse check what the original torque was. No data online yet on this torque data although stud size gives a good general guide. If they are M10 I expect about 6o Nm and if M12 maybe 100 Nm. Will update this post when done.

Update:

NOTE: My excellent BMW workshop Manager has advised me that the F900XR Engine Mount Studs (M12 CL10.9) have a spec of 60 Nm with Loctite 243 Blue (Medium). All other engine bolts/studs are 40 Nm. I think there is a fair bit of tolerance in this but it is definitely not in the 75-100 Nm range which is more what is used with steel on steel connections. This is an alloy cylinder block.

Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:23:23 AM by MattR

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Crash Bars Aftermarket
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2020, 05:43:58 AM
I can't tell you what the number is, but it'll be the same for the F750GS and F850GS since it's the same mount.  Your dealer should know and so should SW-Motech if you were to call them and ask.  Using a torque wrench like you are saying isn't going to be reliable.  You'll get a value too high because you'll be measuring breakaway torque, not the dynamic value that actually matters.

Edit - I just checked the Evotech site for their instructions on their sliders that use the same mounting points and they say 100N*M for both fasteners.  I'd still check with SW-Motech though just to get another data point.
Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 05:55:26 AM by rcb78

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: October 28, 2020, 06:10:44 AM
Thanks for the info. The studs are M12 CL10.9 which the Moto-Tech instructions list as 115Nm. Of course they cover themselves by saying to consult the BMW spec. I have also seen 100Nm in other Guides for 850GS engine mount M12 CL10.9 studs. I think 100Nm is a safe number.

Offline apexal

• XR Member
Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 01:54:46 PM
Will the BMW belly pan/spoiler work with any of the crash bars out there? 

Offline Lily girl

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: October 28, 2020, 08:47:31 PM
They look great.  Could you put up a link where you purchased the crash bars from and a pic when you have them installed please.  :001:

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 09:01:20 PM
Sure thing. Will upload photos when fitted.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 04:15:16 AM
Installed the bars today without any problems. Perfect fit.
The instructions are pretty good but a couple of other things to note.
1 I didnít undo both bolts as I worked on each side. Instead I took the front engine bolt off and installed the stub bracket then lightly tensioned that bolt before removing the rear engine bolt then continuing as per instructions.  Maybe being unnecessarily cautious but didnít like the idea of all support on one side of the engine being off at once.
2 I left the left side bars loosely in place and then loosely installed the right bar before putting any faring back on. This was to check that they lined up properly where they bolt together under the radiator. The alignment was perfect.
3 The instructions correctly warn to be very careful when taking the faring off after removing the 4 securing bolts. I have included a couple of photos to help. There are four clips mounted on the body moulding, and four plastic studs on the faring clip tightly in. The rear two clips released from the faring with gentle pulling. The very front clip which is tucked in and hidden behind the indicator stalk was much more difficult. I gently pulled the faring away from the body above the indicator stalk and could see the clip. I used a thin blade screwdriver to tease the stud partly out of the clip and then the front two studs popped out without much force. I would not try and just pull these out by pulling the faring away from the body as I suspect the clip which is mounted on the red plastic part of the bodywork below the fuel tank could easily break. This is what they are warning about. Putting the faring back on is easy and all four studs just popped back in. Removing the three faring bolts tucked underneath near the indicator stalk is quite fiddly. Needs a very small Torx wrench.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 06:00:27 AM
These images might help locate some things

Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:14:05 AM by Jggpossum

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Newbie
Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 06:02:53 AM
The studs on the Faring

Offline Jggpossum