Author Topic: Crash Bars Aftermarket  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Re: Crash Bars Aftermarket
Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 04:05:15 AM
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
Have purchased a set of SW-Motech crash bars which are designed for F900XR. Installation instructions look straightforward and highlight critical steps well. Havenít installed yet and wondering if anyone else has done this?  Main anchor points are the engine mount bolts which seems a good option. I will have to crack these studs slightly and then use the torque wrench on increasingly higher settings to reverse check what the original torque was. No data online yet on this torque data although stud size gives a good general guide. If they are M10 I expect about 6o Nm and if M12 maybe 100 Nm. Will update this post when done. NOTE: My excellent BMW workshop Manager has advised me that the F900XR Engine Mount Studs (M12 CL10.9) have a spec of 60 Nm with Loctite 243 Blue (Medium). All other engine bolts/studs are 40 Nm. I think there is a fair bit of tolerance in this but it is definitely not in the 75-100 Nm range which is more what is used with steel on steel connections. This is an alloy cylinder block.

Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 04:06:42 AM by Jggpossum

Offline Hanes69

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 09:29:01 PM
I was also thinking about SW-Motech crash bars, but I decided to buy Wunderlich Extreme crash bars.
What changed my mind was a fact that Wunderlich ones protect more engine, and in case of mishap I can easy drive home with damaged plastic fairing but hardly with cracked clutch or alternator cover.
Bonus on Wunderlich crash bars is that I can put my feet on them to relax my legs on highway  :002:
Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 09:34:25 PM by Hanes69

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 11:06:17 PM
Sounds great. Agree that protecting gear shift and brake pedal and engine/clutch casing more important than faring. Protecting my legs is probably my primary purpose and will definitely look at the wundelich.
Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 11:09:50 PM by Jggpossum

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #13 on: November 16, 2020, 10:10:05 PM
Someone told me that they had fitted the sw motech bars AS WELL as the original low bmw crash bars. On my local sw website it specifically says they aren't compatible... Any ideas?

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #14 on: November 17, 2020, 01:51:02 AM
Based on the pictures it does look like they will fit together.  I have the factory crash bars on my bike but haven't seen the SW Motech bars in person so it's just guess though.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 07:47:51 AM
They seem to use the same fitting points though.... If anyone has put BOTH the SW and BMW bars on together I would love to see photos of the mounting points. Thanks.
Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 08:01:20 AM by Royinspain

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #16 on: November 17, 2020, 08:04:15 AM
*Originally Posted by Hanes69 [+]
I was also thinking about SW-Motech crash bars, but I decided to buy Wunderlich Extreme crash bars.
What changed my mind was a fact that Wunderlich ones protect more engine, and in case of mishap I can easy drive home with damaged plastic fairing but hardly with cracked clutch or alternator cover.
Bonus on Wunderlich crash bars is that I can put my feet on them to relax my legs on highway  :002:
Good point and I suspect you are right. I will have another look at them too.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #17 on: November 17, 2020, 08:07:19 AM
I donít think they use the same anchor points. The Motech bars use the 4 engine mount bolt positions which are quite high up on the frame. All M12 bolts. The BMW engine bars use other bolt holes lower down on the engine block which you will see already exist as blank threaded holes. I think they are M10 threads. The issue will be whether the bars themselves overlap in some way that doesnít fit. Best to ask a BMW workshop manager.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #18 on: November 17, 2020, 08:11:52 AM
Thanks for the info. Another thing would be if they' look good together....although aesthetics isn't the priority it would be a pity to spoil the lines.

Offline Hanes69

• XR Member
Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 02:56:02 PM
Coll design is not the top priority for tourer. Mount points are different, so far so good, but I am afraid there would be "conflict" with tube which connects left and right side of crash bars just bellow the radiator. Both variants have this tube at the same place according to pictures...