Author Topic: Stolen display  (Read 1201 times)

Ethel Vanman and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline r1oos

• XR Newbie
Stolen display
on: October 27, 2020, 10:40:11 PM
Just got back to the bike after leaving it parked in London for 3 hours and someone has stolen the TFT display  :019:
Looking at it, it looks like 3 clips to remove it and then pull the plug out from the back of it. So simple, so quick it probably took them less than a minute to get it. I would pretty much say it is close to being something which you should remove when you get off the bike, like the old car stereo face plates.
I have the tracker, alarm, data tag and a lock but none of these help stop this so not only am I going to have to get it replaced (guessing it won't be cheap) but how do I stop it happening again?
Interesting journey home as no indicators, horn, speedo, fuel gauge and cannot turn off the heated grips.
Anyone have any idea as to the cost of this replacement and how to stop it happening again? It is really scary how easy it is to remove. Surely BMW should take some responsibility for designing it to be so easy to take.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Stolen display
Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:46:21 PM
I've heard of this happening, but I don't understand why.  Only a dealer computer plugged into the BMW network can pair a TFT to a bike, so it's useless unless a dealer is involved in the theft.  Even then I'm not sure it's possible to pair any other than a brand new zero mile TFT to a bike to prevent situations just like this.  Most likely, this is just stupid people doing stupid things, like slashing tires for no reason.
That said, it's expensive and it will hurt if your insurance doesn't cover it.  Cost is about 2k USD and install will be about an hours worth of labor for the programming process.

Online HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 11:25:04 PM
Sorry to hear thatís happened. And a little worrying that it was so easy the take.

Total scumbags !!!

Offline f900rider

• XR Member
Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 11:49:26 PM
WOW that's a first! I can't believe someone so worthless would do that. You wanna make a quick buck off of a TFT display that has no use unless pairing it with your actual bike? Hope insurance covers it! (Kinda makes me wish to get full-coverage insurance...

That ride home must've been pretty funny though, kind of like riding a headless horse... :033:

What has London become to??

Offline r1oos

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 11:57:17 PM
Thanks all. As you say, total scumbags.
I really don't want to claim on insurance as it will put on an already high cost for both the bike and also my car.
I will call the BMW dealership in the morning to see how much it will cost but I am just so shocked how quick and easy it is to take. Literally 3 clips and pull the plug out. If they are as expensive as I suspect, why don't they lock it down so it cannot be taken.
Riding home was totally bizarre and if I am honest, I was still in shock that it happened to didn't check what did and did not work. Turns out not much works! I didn't realise that I had no indicators until I got home and still not sure if I had headlights or side lights but the main beam didn't work. When I left in the morning it was raining so it was still in rain mode but couldn't change it as I have no idea what I would change it to.
 :003:

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #5 on: October 28, 2020, 03:39:47 AM
That absolutely stinks :230: :172: :232: It's useless to any one but you. That's a horrible experience. Someone needs to manufacture a bracket to stop this from happening in the future. Must of been a horrible trip home. Hope BMW is kind to you.
Leon

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 05:39:48 AM
There was a post not too long ago on the ADV Riders forum about this and someone had a bracket that helped secure the TFT in place.  Check out the parallel twin group over there.  In theory, the TFTs can be swapped around but it requires some decent hardware skills to transplant the chip with the ID from one TFT to another, not to mention knowing exactly what chip on the board holds that information and even then there is still some issues that may pop up.  I know people have done this with the older analog displays, but it's rather involved requires you have the original TFT in somewhat decent shape to harvest parts out of.  Even in the black market, I have a hard time seeing how this could be very profitable (vs the risk) unless a dealer or shop is involved.
Or.... ever heard of tire shops having a guy go out and slash a bunch of tires to drive business?  Make sure you file a police report.

Offline r1oos

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: October 29, 2020, 12:50:13 PM
As an update, I have got a cost to replace of £1200!!  :013:
Apparently they do this for the internals of the display. The metals inside are worth quite a bit and by the time they have a couple of hundred of them they can be worth a couple of grand (much less than it costs us to replace them unfortunately).
I spoke to one place who make cages to hold them on for security (unfortunately not for this bike at the moment) and they said if you pull hard enough they just come off without even removing the clips.
Such a design floor from BMW.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: October 29, 2020, 02:24:16 PM
You've seen how people steal bikes right?  There is no way you can blame BMW for this and I'm willing to bet that fastening it on 'tighter' will result in bikes being damaged during the "removal" process.  If the thief is after precious metals, then it doesn't matter if the TFT comes off in one piece or many.
If you are really that worried about it happening again, then a better solution would be a quick release so you can take it with you when you leave the bike unattended.  Let the thieves think it's already be stolen.

Offline Cyclone7

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Perth, WA
Reply #9 on: October 29, 2020, 11:55:45 PM
That is a costly replacement and just through scum bags!  Pity there is no self destruct function on the TFT that you can activate!   :005:

:232: :232:

strongminded