Author Clutch Issues on Cold Start  (Read 24970 times)

• Offline Strike_Zero   us

• XR Member  ‐    18

Offline Strike_Zero

• XR Member
    • Town / City: Columbia, SC
    Re: Clutch Issues on Cold Start
    Reply #140 on: August 04, 2022, 01:02:05 am
    August 04, 2022, 01:02:05 am
    I purchased mine back in March 2020. Since this is a known issue, they shouldn't be with the shenanigans. They may be trying to play that game since I'm a new to them customer.

My old dealer was a 3hr round trip. Finding unrepaired items or fluid leaks for multiple return trips suck. This new dealer is a 2hr round trip. Fuel is too expensive for multiple trips.
    -=PJ
    =============
    Strike Zero Garage

• Offline Jggpossum   au

• XR Pro  ‐    180

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Pro
    • Town / City: Castle Hill
    Reply #141 on: August 04, 2022, 01:46:51 am
    August 04, 2022, 01:46:51 am
    BMW Berlin acknowledge this fault and it is incomprehensible that a dealership would even contemplate wanting to challenge that there is an issue. At my 10k service last year I raised the issue with the dealer workshop manager. He said "We have adjusted the clutch and it seems ok. But if you are not satisfied then bring it back in and we will replace it under warranty". I found this a reasonable approach. If the customer doesn't think the clutch grabs then it's possible it was one of the new clutches that works ok - I don't think they were all faulty just as all the new 850GS clutches don't appear to be perfect.. But if we are not happy then no questions asked it is replaced.

On another note I have observed that the 850 clutch is quite sensitive to the amount of throw of the clutch lever. The original F900XR clutch lever has a generous amount of retraction and even at its closest adjustment position of 1 on the wheel it is a challenge even for me with long fingers. Since installing OEM levers with greater range adjustment I find that I cannot set the range to the lowest (least pull distance) setting, as the clutch barely fully disengages as the lever touches the handlebar grip. At this setting I have to compensate by adjusting the clutch cable to have virtually no slack and that concerns me as the thrust bearing may be starting to engage at that setting. So I have settled on a mid setting which puts the lever maybe 5mm closer than the original lever, and that still allows the requisite slack in the cable when released. Something to be aware of as some who are talking about problems finding N should check that they have not reduced the amount of clutch throw too much by adjusting the lever to be much closer to the handlebar - hence clutch barely disengaged. There must be a minimum amount the clutch cable has to be pulled between slack and fully disengaged and some OEM lever settings may not satisfy this minimum.
    Last Edit: August 04, 2022, 01:49:57 am by Jggpossum

• Offline Royinspain   es

• XR Pro  ‐    222

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
    Reply #142 on: August 04, 2022, 07:51:32 am
    August 04, 2022, 07:51:32 am
    *Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
    Certainly have a test ride but it might take a bit more riding to assess if your clutch is acceptable to you. If your bike is pre Aug 2020 it will have the original new design F900 clutch which is known to be faulty and BMW automatically agree to replace these if “ the owner is not satisfied “ to quote my dealer.

It your bike already has an “850” clutch it might take a bit more effort to convince them it is not satisfactory. It might take multiple return visits and lots of detailed explaining of the exact issue but don’t give up until you have it resolved. In the end they will have to fix it.
    My bike is Oct 2020 and still had the old style clutch. Neither bmw nor owner can go by date nor VIN. That's why they just faffed around with the cable and it took them >12 months to actually look properly and realise that it wasn't the modified version. They changed the clutch and the problem (impossible to get into N when stopped and engine running) continued. After 3 months more hassling they agreed to change it again and now it's ok.
    The 2nd and 3rd clutch kits have completely different parts numbers so I've no idea which versions clutch they were /are....

• Offline Strike_Zero   us

• XR Member  ‐    18

Offline Strike_Zero

• XR Member
    • Town / City: Columbia, SC
    Reply #143 on: August 04, 2022, 05:42:05 pm
    August 04, 2022, 05:42:05 pm
    The clutch adjustment appears to put me back at square one. The clutch feels exactly how it did when I purchased the bike back in 2020. I'll put some miles on it and report back.
    -=PJ
    =============
    Strike Zero Garage

strongminded