Author Topic: Clutch Issues on Cold Start  (Read 3063 times)

Offline riderron

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Toronto
Re: Clutch Issues on Cold Start
Reply #10 on: April 15, 2021, 12:56:16 PM
Hi, I picked up my brand new 2020 bike on March 30 and had no issues with the clutch until a week later when it hopped on me - twice that day. It scared the crap out of me. It hasn't happened since and I have done already 1500Km so far. I'm overdue for my service and I will take it up with the dealership tomorrow.

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2021, 07:07:00 PM
*Originally Posted by PhilippeUSAG [+]
Hi, I got a new F900Xr, and I seem to have similar issue, but at all times.  I release the clutch, and in 3rd or 4th, it just feels it is catching and then releases all of a sudden after a gap.
Do you know what needs to be told to the dealer on what the problem they should know about is?  I talked to my dealer and they said that it is first time they hear of that.
Frustrating....
Tell them to look up any TSARA cases on the clutch in the F900R/XR, ask them to tell you what has been reported, and you can tell them whether or not it sounds like what you're experiencing, then have them ride it so they can see for themselves.
*Originally Posted by cw000de [+]
Sounds definitely different from the known "clutch issues".

They seem to be common with the original clutch only when starting in first gear, never when riding in other gears. Newer bikes have the clutch of F850GS built in, and should not have that kind of behavior.
I don't think it sounds significantly different from the known issue, it's just being described differently.  On my bike the problem is most consequential when starting in 1st gear, but you can still feel the defect in all of the other gears if you're looking for it.  Mine is a 2021 delivered in mid-November and it still had the original 900-style clutch, not the 850 clutch, when did BMW start installing 850 clutches from factory?

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2021, 07:27:54 PM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
Mine is a 2021 delivered in mid-November and it still had the original 900-style clutch, not the 850 clutch, when did BMW start installing 850 clutches from factory?

I have never seen any official date in the switch in the production. Rumors I read here and in another forums say, it should have been in or around May 2020.

How could you figure out you still have the original F900 clutch? My own bike was produced in October, up to now I supposed it already has the F850 clutch hardware.

Offline 10tenmen

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Bridlington
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 04:08:34 PM
BMW have agreed to replace the clutch and also fix a slight leak from the sump, estimate is 10 days as parts are on back order, they have given me a new R1250RS whilst itís repaired.

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 04:53:39 PM
*Originally Posted by cw000de [+]
I have never seen any official date in the switch in the production. Rumors I read here and in another forums say, it should have been in or around May 2020.

How could you figure out you still have the original F900 clutch? My own bike was produced in October, up to now I supposed it already has the F850 clutch hardware.

I'm not sure now, mine definitely has strange clutch behavior, like getting hung up and engaging poorly every once in a while. Sometimes it's the "on/off" clutch problem that others have described, most of the time it's more subtle, and some days it doesn't happen at all. Since I was having issues, I assumed it was the same clutch that is known for having issues, but maybe this is a different problem. I had it in to the dealer recently and all they did was adjust the clutch cable. All I can do now is keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

Offline 10tenmen

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Bridlington
Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 06:42:23 PM
Mine was similar not every day would it lurch at least twice from a standstill sometimes after the third stop at a junction, it happened when it went to the dealer too, bad news is the new design sump is not available until the end of May they are estimating middle of June, BMW aha are dropping off a new 1250rt for the duration of the repair. Good luck as itís a dangerous fault.

Offline PhilippeUSAG

• XR Newbie
Reply #16 on: May 03, 2021, 09:03:43 PM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
I'm not sure now, mine definitely has strange clutch behavior, like getting hung up and engaging poorly every once in a while. Sometimes it's the "on/off" clutch problem that others have described, most of the time it's more subtle, and some days it doesn't happen at all. Since I was having issues, I assumed it was the same clutch that is known for having issues, but maybe this is a different problem. I had it in to the dealer recently and all they did was adjust the clutch cable. All I can do now is keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

you explained much better than me my issue.
So, now the bike is broken in:  medium throttle...happens once in a while.
Full throttle: it goes and goes....
but still never know when the next time it gets hung up....does it often if I use the clutch handle and pull all the way and release fast....you would expect an immediate jerk...right?...nope, ut hangs and hangs and then goes...
took it to dealership twice: just adjusted cables...

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #17 on: May 03, 2021, 11:40:00 PM
Can you be more specific, what does 'hung up' mean.  Is it slipping, grabbing or shuttering (slip, grab, slip, etc)?

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 09:47:44 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
Can you be more specific, what does 'hung up' mean.  Is it slipping, grabbing or shuttering (slip, grab, slip, etc)?
"Hung up" meaning, you're releasing the lever through its stroke, but the clutch mechanism seems to stop in a disengaged or partially-engaged position. You can feel this in the lever, as you'll have normal spring pressure against your fingers, but once it gets "hung up", it's as if the mechanism has become caught on something that the springs couldn't overcome, then as you release the lever more, the mechanism is able to overcome that resistance, and is suddenly engaged to wherever you currently have the lever. All of this happens in a fraction of a second. I wouldn't characterize it as slipping, once it is engaged, it is firmly engaged. it's definitely not shuttering, it is just failing to engage smoothly and controllably. I almost want to describe it as "notchy", but normally that's something that you would feel while both engaging and disengaging the clutch, and it wouldn't normally be intermittent.

If you were watching it happen while someone else was riding, you might think "that person hasn't quite figured out how to use the clutch yet." They would look like a new rider who has limited experience operating a manual transmission.

I saw something similar described on another motorcycle with a slip&assist clutch as well, I suspect that it has something to do with pressure on the assist ramps causing some uneven wear or some type of binding.

I've been trying to figure out a way to make it happen, since most of the time it is fine. These are things that I *think* might make it more likely to happen.  Though it is so intermittent that anything that seems like a pattern one day seems like superstition the next.
    Sitting for at least 48 hours, and being ridden gently/conservatively. The issue is definitely more likely at the start of the day, but I've experienced it at all operating temperatures, even when hot enough to have the fan running, and even after periods of extended riding.

Cold/humid/wet weather; I noticed it a lot more frequently and more severely in February than I did in April.

Coasting to a stop with the clutch disengaged at neighborhood speeds (i.e. 30mph, 3rd or 4th gear, pull the clutch in and progress down to first gear without engaging the clutch again until after you've made a complete stop).  This seems to precede this issue more frequently than if I were to downshift through all of the gears using either the clutch or the quick-shifter. I often do this within the neighborhood just to be polite to neighbors and pedestrians.

Starting on an incline: it seems to happen more frequently when there is a bit more load to overcome from a stop.

Bringing revs slightly above idle before engaging the clutch: if the revs are just slightly elevated, such as in a situation where you are on an incline stopped in dense traffic, then it is more likely to occur.  Notably, attempting a more aggressive launch with the revs far above idle is always smooth, I have not had this problem in spirited riding situations, it is almost always in traffic or neighborhood scenarios.

I hope that explanation makes it a bit more clear, I'm struggling to find the best way to describe the issue, and its infrequency is making it impossible to demonstrate to the service department as well.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 10:41:21 AM
 :762: :763:

strongminded