Author Topic: Soft or Hard Panniers Options  (Read 3164 times)

Offline EDventure

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Westerville, OH
Soft or Hard Panniers Options
on: October 03, 2020, 12:37:10 PM
Hello XR'ers,

Are there any companies that offer soft or hard panniers that fit the factor mounting points?

Thank you,

EDventure

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Soft or Hard Panniers Options
Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 03:16:38 PM
I think maybe it depends on how you define mounting points.  Yes there is luggage that fits in the same spot, but not it won't use the factory mounting rails.  Side case manufacturers all have their own mounting hardware you'll have to buy and install.  Top cases are a little different since some people have been able to make intermediary adapters to fit between factory mounts and aftermarket case mounts, but I don't see the point since there is no option for a bike to come with a factory top case mount.  Why both buying one and then not use it?
I think your best bet is to choose the luggage you want and buy what it takes to make it fit.  I personally went with the factory luggage because of how clean I think the mounting system is.  When my side cases aren't on I don't have these massive side case mounts that look ugly.  BMW did a pretty good job with keeping the mounts looking minimal.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Hull
Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 05:50:42 PM
I agree the the BMW mounting solution is very neat.  Has anyone ordered or seen the softbags which use these mounts.

Seen them on the BMW website but not seen any price on these.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #3 on: October 03, 2020, 06:19:21 PM
I have them, price was almost $500ea with key cylinders, but I got a deal since I bought them at the same time I got the bike.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
Reply #4 on: October 03, 2020, 07:02:51 PM
Are they Waterproof ? My dealer in the Uk said that aren’t available yet. Look nice and slim.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #5 on: October 03, 2020, 07:26:50 PM
They came with roll top dry bag inserts,,, so yes, in a matter of speaking.  I bought them back in June, so maybe sold out for now.  I really like how slim they are for lane splitting (Cali) and they don't impact my fuel mileage in any noticable way.

Offline HullXR

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: October 03, 2020, 07:56:18 PM
Thanks for that, think I will get a set ordered once available.

:763:

Offline birdrocks

• XR Member
Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 12:25:44 AM
Hey RCB 78 I just got mine yesterday after waiting 7 months . But how the hell do you take em off? Even the BMW service guy couldn’t work it out ?

Riding the great ocean road with no tour buses is bliss

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #8 on: February 25, 2021, 01:58:04 AM
The rubber inserts that keep them from vibrating make the fit VERY tight.  Put a little pressure on the case pushing in towards the bike when you turn the key.  Just based on memory but pretty sure the left side key turns CW and the right side key turns CCW, like you're turning the keys towards the back of the bike.  Mine both loosened up with time, but one is still a little tighter than I like.  Eventually I'll open the mechanism and see if there's an adjustment.

Offline birdrocks

• XR Member
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2021, 05:26:40 AM
Thanks i’ll try that . I have been thinking . God I’m not that dumb , or maybe I am  :087:
Riding the great ocean road with no tour buses is bliss

strongminded