Author Topic: Heat from engine/radiator  (Read 307 times)

Offline GrandPa

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Greenville SC, USA
Heat from engine/radiator
on: September 29, 2020, 05:46:03 PM
I have the F900R (this may not apply to XR) - does anyone else have a problem with extreme heat from engine blowing directly on left leg?  I sometimes wonder if my leg is going to have burn marks after 50 mile ride and this is with wearing long pants (jeans).  Right leg does not get any of the heat.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Heat from engine/radiator
Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 07:13:46 PM
I've ridden in tells up to 110F and they only time it bothers me is when I'm stuck in traffic and not moving.  As soon as I start rolling again I can't tell.  My new pants also made a huge difference.  Cotton is really good at holding heat too so they jeans may not be the best choice even if there are layers of other materials.

Offline DMo

• XR Newbie
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 08:13:55 PM
On long rides on hot days, I've been very surprised by the heat coming off the left side for a liquid cooled engine. I seem to only notice it on hot days and long rides, but I feel it more than on my aircooled, V-twin Harley.

The Harley can be brutal at a stoplight, pretty much any time of the year. I notice the heat on the XR more so when I'm on a country road and haven't put my leg to the ground in a bit.

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 07:57:32 AM
It is subjective, but I haven't felt anything exceptional in terms of heat. At least nothing uncomfortable. The reason it's to the left is there is a heat shield/air deflector around the radiator fan directing the air away from the engine. I will add a bit of coolant though, as from the factory it barely touches the min. mark.

Offline GrandPa

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Greenville SC, USA
Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 04:09:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Milen.

Sounds like DMo has same problem as I do - long rides in country can get very hot only on left leg. I am going to look for some options to divert some heat if possible.  I will speak with my dealer shop.

strongminded