Author Topic: Chain Lube  (Read 249 times)

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Chain Lube
on: September 11, 2020, 07:07:12 AM
Most of you probably know this trick... Long story short - I think the chain lubes are just a ripoff (25 euros for 2 cleans with a good brand) and a big mess. You also have to spend 1 hour cleaning the mess every 400km. The dust sticking to the chain right away doesn't look healthy to me either. In the past 5000km I used 85w140 gear/transmission oil with 5 euros/ 1l bottle and the results are pretty amazing. The chain looks very good even after 1000km and the back of the bike is all nice and clean. Cleaning the chain after 1000km is also much simple and you could do it with just a piece of cloth. I used a chain cleaner after 5000km with gear oil. For cleaning I also switched to keroseene which is 2 euros for 1l. The secret with the gear oil is to use very little, spread it with a brush and wipe the excess with a piece of cloth. With 7 euros you can easily maintain the chain for 50.000km. There are also lots of guys who said the gear oil doubled the life of their chain. Mine has 6000km now and looks brand new. What do you guys use or think about this?
Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:11:51 AM by racautanu

Offline Bmerlassy

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Apple Tree Creek
Re: Chain Lube
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 11:19:38 AM
Wow thanks for sharing  :763: