Author Topic: F900XR or F900R - which one would you choose ?  (Read 371 times)

Online MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • XR Member
  • Town / City: Bristol
F900XR or F900R - which one would you choose ?
on: February 09, 2020, 10:19:53 AM
I'm curious which model would you go for ? The F900XR or the F900R ?

Ok, the R version is slightly cheaper (and great value IMO) but the XR has a lot going for it.

So which one would you choose? Would be great to know what people think !  :001:

:821:

Offline Remo83

• XR Newbie
Re: F900XR or F900R - which one would you choose ?
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:36:44 AM
Well,

I test drove the XR and also sat on the R.
The latter has sportier ergonomics, a bit like a Ducati Monster.
Suffering from back and neck problems, my choice would clearly be the XR.
It offers you weather protection, an ergonomically suiting riding position and the same power.
The only thing missing in both bikes is electronic suspension for the front, but I didn't really miss that during my test drive, to be quite honest.
As always with BMW, you'll pay a lot to have all the gadgetry, but looking back to buying my XR, I'm glad I got all the extra's, because they are worth it.

All the best,

RM
Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 10:37:16 AM by Remo83

Offline Maxton

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Wells
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 09:54:15 AM
Same here, I'd be looking at the XR, mainly for the same reasons as Remo83. Looking back I probably should have gone for the 500X instead of the Honda 500F that I have now but I did get a good deal at the time. The slightly raised riding position and extra protection definately would be influencing me this time round.

Offline F9XRay

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 04:20:45 PM
Back in 2017, I bought a Honda NC750X that is similar to the XR. I loved the sitting position, but lacked power and a few other things.
Now the XR is the first motorcycle since then, that has all the Crossover geometry I wanted, plus the exact amount of power and safety features.

I also like riding naked bikes, but the XR is the best "allInOne" option. I only have 2 hours driving to the German Alps, being able to go for weekend trips, Upright position is essential for me.
~Don't surprise the front brake~

Offline Mad Tenor

• XR Member
Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 01:26:15 AM
Liked the XR but after 15 years of the GS rather fancied a change of style........ found the R has (for my shape and size,) a good balance between comfort and sporty riding position and loved the way it handles on twisty roads...... the engine has a character the old 800 never had and BM has really upped their game in this sector.....canít wait until mine arrives!

Offline Greg900

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 06:43:43 PM
XR 100%

Offline Tigershark

• XR Member
  • Town / City: West Bend, Wisconsin
Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 06:02:51 PM
My choice would ideally be the XR with cruise, heated grips and center stand. My biggest reason for the XR is its longer suspension. Much more comfortable on rough road surfaces. As it is, Iíd be losing 1Ē from my F700 travel. A test ride will tell me if thatís a deal breaker or not.
You canít have everything. Where would you put it?

Offline RocketMan

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Estoril
Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 11:27:10 AM
I have a 2017 Street Triple and so was looking for something a bit less frenetic and more comfortable. The XR fits the bill, very happy with it. Tried the R a couple of times, but didn't like it. As 'uncomfortable' as my Triumph without the power. What's the point in that?

Offline Calabogie345

• XR Newbie
Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 12:55:15 PM
Looking forward to hearing more opinions here as more people get their new bikes. Iím currently looking at both. I like the look of the R more and the price!  The riding position of the XR is appealing though as I do mostly 2 lane hwy driving. Havenít ridden either yet.

Recent Topics