Author Topic: Quad lock mobile phone holder  (Read 1216 times)

Offline robotdog

• XR Newbie
Re: Quad lock mobile phone holder
Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 03:28:20 AM
rcb,
How did you connect the QuadLock USB to the power supplying the Nav? When I removed the Nav unit, I looked at the plugs and they are OEM type plugs and the QuadLock uses SAE connection. Did I miss something?

In the image, the white connector is part of the Nav unit and the plug with 3 wires comes out of the wiring harness.

Thanks for the help on this.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #21 on: October 15, 2020, 05:22:15 AM
Cut, solder, waterproof heat shrink tubing.  I suppose you could use positaps for simplicity, but I prefer a cleaner look.

Online GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Reply #22 on: October 15, 2020, 07:12:45 AM
What about this connector https://www.bmw-gps-interface.com/ ?
Postponing the price argument and sticking to the tech aspects, wouldn’t be the case for a cleaner install (cutting ODM cables is not my cup of tea) and a better power output?

(OT: They offer an apparently interesting F900XR-designed mount bracket too: https://www.bmw-gps-interface.com/gps-mount-bracket-bmw-f900xr/)

Offline robotdog

• XR Newbie
Reply #23 on: October 15, 2020, 05:17:19 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
Cut, solder, waterproof heat shrink tubing.  I suppose you could use positaps for simplicity, but I prefer a cleaner look.

Thanks rcb, I figured this was the case. I agree with you regarding the preferred installation.

For those who don't want to cut into their bike's wiring but still want to retain the Nav accessory, they also have a USB "Y cable"
https://www.bmw-gps-interface.com/bmw-gps-interface/bmw-gps-interface-y/

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #24 on: October 15, 2020, 05:57:52 PM
I should clarify, I did not cut the wiring of the bike, I cut the wiring off the Nav cradle that I'm not using, spliced that into the Quadlock charger and made it a simple plug and play unit.  I don't have any issues cutting into a wiring loom, but I'll avoid it when there's an easier method that is just as clean.  I also have a HEX ezCAN that I would suggest you look at for any other accessories, but since there was a perfectly good pre-wired solution up front where I needed it, there was no reason to run another front/back wiring harness for the charger.  Keep in mind that this specific connector is only rated for 12v @ 5A. More than enough for all but the highest power USB chargers (I have a 60W on my desk), but I wouldn't try using it for lights or heated gear, or anything large.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #25 on: October 15, 2020, 06:00:17 PM
One thing I still need to look into is another random connector on the left side buried under the fairings.  I 'think' it's for the BMW accessory light option, I'll need to test the leads or check with my shop.  If that's what it is, then that makes two useful power solutions at the front of the bike that we can tap into.

Online GiaxLV900

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: October 15, 2020, 06:36:54 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
this specific connector is only rated for 12v @ 5A. More than enough for all but the highest power USB chargers
That's good news, thanks RCB78 - as long as I'd use it as an USB/Lightning iPhone charger.

strongminded