Author Topic: Power outlets  (Read 2065 times)

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Re: Power outlets
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2021, 03:41:05 PM
Also, just to clarify, are we talking about the original power outlet by your left leg?  I quick check of the owners manual shows that it is rated for 5A@12vdc, that is more than enough for any socket type USB charger.  I use the Nav power supply up front for my USB, it's got the same rating and it has no problems charging my phone even with it's fully active.

Offline johnblazosky

• XR Newbie
Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 02:10:36 PM
Thanks
It turns out that the cord was unreliable but the outlet worked fine with a new cord.

so thanks for the repsonse as it saved out trip down south for two weeks!
We had one unfortunate incident-a stone creased my wife's honda radiator and we were sidelined for a few days.

$1000 later and we ae good (insurnace paid all but ....)

Offline wood

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 02:07:18 PM
*Originally Posted by motohaze [+]
On a related note - I bought a USB charger from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ17K9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) hoping to use the power outlet. Does anyone know how to run this to the front to power my phone? I hope it's a hassle free install...

I used a wire pull-through cable device - found in the electrical isle at most Home Depot or Lowes stores.  Thin metal cable that you feed gently behind the body parts from the rear socket to the front area that is open.  Taped a 5-foot USB cable to the metal pull tape and reversed the process. Fed it up through and next to the clutch cable and zip tied it or slipped it under the rubber cable ties.     

When you look at the bike from the side - you can't see the cable.

Purchased a dual-USB plug from Amazon - so I have an additional port to use in the middle of the bike.

For heated gear - I run it directly off of the battery due to the connectors (power and ground).  Run it to one side or another and zip-tie it as well to seducure it.

Online rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 03:42:14 PM
FWIW, the body panels are pretty easy to pull, it's maybe a 10 min job.  Easy to bundle any add on wires with the existing harness that way and keep it tidy.

Offline wood

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2021, 03:33:17 AM
*Originally Posted by Stealthrider [+]
IMHO, it's in a good place. I've got a USB adapter for it that I use to charge my Packtalk intercom (on the left side of my helmet) or my phone (in my left breast pocket). That's a better place than having it on the handlebars or dash and running the cable over the fuel tank.

FWIW, my heated jacket (a Keis) draws far too much power to run it from the accessory socket. The canbus would shut down the socket if I tried.

Connect the heated clothing directly to the battery - when you stop, you disconnect/get off the bike and stop drawing power.  The CANBus is "unique" and controls power nicely, but not everything well.

strongminded