Author Topic: Power outlets  (Read 1296 times)

Offline f900rider

• XR Member
  • Town / City: New York, USA
Power outlets
on: August 25, 2020, 02:09:04 AM
Hi all, another question to bug you... :173:
So this bike (F900r) comes standard with power sockets as do most BMW's I'm sure, but my question is where are they? I've looked all over and can't seem to find one...any help please?
 :763:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Power outlets
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2020, 02:35:16 AM
On the 'XR' it's on the left side tucked into the frame above the shift linkage (or right around there).  I would assume it's the same for the 'R'.  Kind of useless for anything except heated gear or their proprietary charger right there, I don't know why they didn't put it up top in an accessible spot.

Offline f900rider

• XR Member
  • Town / City: New York, USA
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2020, 03:56:54 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
On the 'XR' it's on the left side tucked into the frame above the shift linkage (or right around there).  I would assume it's the same for the 'R'.  Kind of useless for anything except heated gear or their proprietary charger right there, I don't know why they didn't put it up top in an accessible spot.
Huh, I actually just found it before reading this ha.
Thanks, but that is a weird place, most likely its for heated gear. Man, i wish there was a USB port up next to the dash, that would've been the icing on the cake.

Online Da Rev

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Sunshine West
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 11:58:42 PM
That,  IMHO, is the dumbest thing - totally useless.
What on earth were they thinking when they put it there.
Escape Realty At Any Cost I Say

Offline Stealthrider

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 06:44:58 PM
IMHO, it's in a good place. I've got a USB adapter for it that I use to charge my Packtalk intercom (on the left side of my helmet) or my phone (in my left breast pocket). That's a better place than having it on the handlebars or dash and running the cable over the fuel tank.

FWIW, my heated jacket (a Keis) draws far too much power to run it from the accessory socket. The canbus would shut down the socket if I tried.

Offline motohaze

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Seattle
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 09:13:14 AM
On a related note - I bought a USB charger from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJ17K9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) hoping to use the power outlet. Does anyone know how to run this to the front to power my phone? I hope it's a hassle free install...

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 03:40:29 PM
I use that QI phone holder mounted on my handlebar:
https://www.amazon.com/-/de/dp/B091985HWC/ref=sr_1_5?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&crid=3VBBL5X4HJHMA&dchild=1&keywords=qi+motorcycle+phone+mount&qid=1620052516&sprefix=qi+motorcy%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-5

connected to the 3-pin-connector under the fairing:
https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B0841QBH95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
(did not find that on amazon.com, but should be available from your BMW dealer as well. If needed, I can search for the part number).

Works pretty well, and installs without hassle. It has an additional USB outlet to charge auxiliary devices by cable, too.  But you will need to dismantle the fairing to install the connector, tho.

Offline johnblazosky

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2021, 11:06:05 PM
I was using tft system with my iPhone and had it plugged to the power outlet
The phone died after 4 hours
Is that common that the outlet can't keep the phone charged while using the connect app?
Or is there a secret I do not know of?
Otherwise I need to buy a phone battery

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 11:33:34 PM
Sounds like it wasn't charging, a basic .5A charger should be able to keep up with an 'always on' screen even with a bad battery.

Online cw000de

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Nuremberg
Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 08:00:18 AM
Effects like this are likely to be caused by incompatible or defect cabling, too.

I sometimes have my iPad „not charging“ even if it consumes 0.8A with a 30W charger, so would be able to draw much more current. I suspect the cable or some corrosion in the contacts.