Author Topic: Luggage  (Read 4999 times)

Offline Timmay

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Queenstown
Re: Luggage
Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 03:48:44 AM
Thanks both RCB78 and Shadey for your advice here.  I'll hold on to my panniers and wait for the bike to arrive then I've got the physical items to work with to do the mod and make it work. 
Your advice has me confident that with a mod it will work (even if I don't know anyone with a sheet metal brake press!).  Your hangar mod looks like a good solution until correct brackets can be identified Shadey. I'll do similar - so more pics would be great.
And Shadey, if you do track down brackets please let me know.
Again, thanks both for your help. :763:

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 05:05:49 AM
So I'm looking at these pics again with my case in my hands and I think I see an easier solution.  There doesn't seem to be anything special about the specific fastener location on my mounts, i.e. no reinforcements.  I don't see why you couldn't move the fasteners to another 'pocket' that lines up with the holes in your case.  You would have to use a spacer of some sort to account for the recessed mount on the case since these are larger and would need to sit flush to the raised 'main' level.  Overall though, I don't see why it couldn't work with minimal effort.  Take a look at the pic of my mount to see what I mean.  Drill some holes in the mount, use some big washers and standoffs and you're set.

Offline LEEGS

• XR Newbie
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2020, 05:36:30 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for investing your time on this as like you I am keen to fit this type of pannier to my XR.

The one thing baffling me is the pictures I posted clearly show a bracket exists, and the other thing Iím not to sure on is that these panniers were used on a few models such as the F800R/S/ST/GT, K1200R/S & K1300R/S so maybe they also use the exact same pannier with different brackets to suit (one of which hopefully fits the XR) 🤞

I will keep looking my end.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #23 on: October 27, 2020, 05:43:22 AM
The brackets in the pictures are the ones Shadey was taking about that are specific to the new 900 mounts.  I know they are available in the US with the part numbers already listed.  Outside the US it seems they are harder to find.  What we can't tell from the pics you posted is how they were specifically adapted to the older cases, but I assume it's something like I mentioned above.

Offline Timmay

• XR Newbie
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2021, 02:26:18 AM
Hi All

I'm now the proud owner of an XR, the supply chain having finally delivered to Dunedin in NZ.  I picked up yesterday and had a glorious 300km ride back to Queenstown via state highway 85 - one of the best riding roads in the country imho.  Totally loved it.  The cruise control is a game changer for me as I get quite a sorry throttle hand over long distance.  Quick shift is awesome too!

So...now I get to work on sorting the old pannier mounts.  On re-reading the thread I see there are TWO different parts listed for the left and right lower brackets ( 77419444341 / 77741944341) and (77419443661 / 7741944662).  Like Shadey, I'd prefer to get correct brackets rather than fabricating or modifying the bags if I can.  If anyone has done any further investigating, or can confirm which are the part numbers I need, I'd be very appreciative.

Cheers
Tim

Offline Shadey

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Middlesbrough
Reply #25 on: February 01, 2021, 09:46:15 AM
*Originally Posted by Timmay [+]
Hi All

I'm now the proud owner of an XR, the supply chain having finally delivered to Dunedin in NZ.  I picked up yesterday and had a glorious 300km ride back to Queenstown via state highway 85 - one of the best riding roads in the country imho.  Totally loved it.  The cruise control is a game changer for me as I get quite a sorry throttle hand over long distance.  Quick shift is awesome too!

So...now I get to work on sorting the old pannier mounts.  On re-reading the thread I see there are TWO different parts listed for the left and right lower brackets ( 77419444341 / 77741944341) and (77419443661 / 7741944662).  Like Shadey, I'd prefer to get correct brackets rather than fabricating or modifying the bags if I can.  If anyone has done any further investigating, or can confirm which are the part numbers I need, I'd be very appreciative.

Cheers
Tim

Hi Tim,  774194433661 LHS & ******662 RHS are the part nos. I acquired parts from my local BM dealer for UK £11.00 ea (very reasonable imo). I started to retro fit them to my 800gt luggage but got side tracked with other things so have not completed project yet. It's not just a straight forward fit and use, some adjustment and some creative fabrication is required but it is do-able . Which panniers are you using ? And now that this post has resurfaced I will start back up with my project ha ha

Regards Shane.

Offline Timmay

• XR Newbie
Reply #26 on: February 02, 2021, 09:01:52 AM
Thanks Shane - keen to hear / see how you get on.  Good luck!  But am I correct that you are not putting them on and F900XR??

The parts are difficult/expensive for me to get in New Zealand so I am thinking I may end up getting something fabricated - especially if they aren't "fit and use". 

Cheers
Tim

Offline Shadey

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Middlesbrough
Reply #27 on: February 02, 2021, 05:36:46 PM
So...... after an hour or so in garage yesterday I managed to "sort"  the LHS pannier ( 1 hole drilled in pannier and a couple of spacers ) bracket firmly attached and pannier attaches to bike good and firm. The RHS will be easier as there is no cut out in pannier ( cut out in LHS due to exhaust on 800 gt ). Am more than happy with result and yes I am fitting to 900 XR te   :002:

Offline Timmay

• XR Newbie
Reply #28 on: February 03, 2021, 09:27:44 AM
Nice work Shane - sounds likes it's worked well.  Any chance of photos to show how you have resolved.

Cheers
Tim

Offline Timmay

• XR Newbie
Reply #29 on: March 02, 2021, 03:17:07 AM
*Originally Posted by Shadey [+]
So...... after an hour or so in garage yesterday I managed to "sort"  the LHS pannier ( 1 hole drilled in pannier and a couple of spacers ) bracket firmly attached and pannier attaches to bike good and firm. The RHS will be easier as there is no cut out in pannier ( cut out in LHS due to exhaust on 800 gt ). Am more than happy with result and yes I am fitting to 900 XR te   :002:

Hi Shane

I've just got the brackets via a mate in London and ready to have a crack at fitting new brackets to the panniers.  I now see what you mean in terms of the need for modification.  The brackets are a lot longer than the originals on the panniers which sit in a recess that is too short for the new bracket.  I would be grateful if you could share photos of how you resolved.  To get the angle of the panniers right (aligned nicely with the body of the bike) it looks like significant packing is required??
Pictures would be much appreciated before I start drilling!

Thanks in advance
Tim

strongminded