Author Topic: Top speed?  (Read 1179 times)

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Varna
Re: Top speed?
Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 12:49:25 PM
You are correct, 9103 rpm according to the BMW connect app, with 9000 rpm specified as maximum. The sprockets are 17/44 on the R model. I personally would prefer better acceleration over top speed and the bike seems well geared for regular riding speeds - 5000 rpm at 130km/h. While 5-th or even 6-th gear are good for maintaining 50-60 km/h. Maybe when they update it in a few years, they would release a few more rpm from the engine.

Offline Ch

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 04:06:51 PM

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Dundee
Reply #12 on: September 14, 2020, 04:28:34 PM
*Originally Posted by Ch [+]

You'll have to help me out here - google translates "toerental" as "speed".  It translates "snelheid" as "speed".

So, how do I interpret the two lines on the graph ?  Thin blue line engine speed / shaded area road speed ?

Offline Ch

• XR Member
Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 07:10:09 PM
Snelheid is the speed and the other the rpm so you can see 231km/h at 8.879rpm

Sorry i forgot to translate

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 07:25:29 PM
Thanks !

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 10:29:45 PM
Keep in mind that taller gearing will trade acceleration for top speed.  IMO, I'd rather run out of gears at a lower speed than give up acceleration.

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: September 15, 2020, 11:51:01 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
Keep in mind that taller gearing will trade acceleration for top speed.  IMO, I'd rather run out of gears at a lower speed than give up acceleration.

In my experience, lower gearing may give better acceleration, but this can only be felt in top gear, where you may notice that you can hold top down to a lower speed, or accelerate slightly better from the same speed.  On the other hand, raising the gearing can only give a higher top speed if the bike was under-geared to begin with.  If the bike was over-geared to begin with, raising the gearing may actually give a lower top speed (and may possibly see top speed achieved in fifth gear).

Lower gearing will tend to make the bike feel livelier, higher gearing will tend to make the bike feel more relaxed and may give a slight improvement in fuel consumption.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #17 on: September 15, 2020, 05:02:50 PM
It's easier to feel in higher gears, but it's measurable in all gears.  It's simply a matter of matching area under the torque curve to your gear ratios up to the point where the dwell time of shifting gears begins to eat into your gains.  Traction also becomes and issue when your geared excessively short on the low gears, but traction control helps to mitigate this the same way the q/s helps mitigate shift time.
Based on what people are saying above, the final ratio does seem to hit the rev limiter before a top speed is reached, though I suspect that varies with specific conditions.  As for taller gearing providing better fuel economy, it's more complex than that.  My 800GS had worse economy in 6th gear than it did in 5th at highway speeds.

Offline Ch

• XR Member
Reply #18 on: September 15, 2020, 05:49:22 PM
Anyone interested in a BMW High Windshield F900R 2020

Offline C_Dolan

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: San Diego
Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 08:15:22 PM
It would appear that mine, and maybe the rest of the USA is limited to 130 Mph on the F 900 R.

Did a speed run last weekend and it went flat at 8000 rpm / 130 mph.

Held it there for awhile and got video.

This on Dynamic mode.

I want to look for an ECU re-flash that will take out the restriction.
Congress: The only whore house in the country that loses money
"The difference between death and taxes is
death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers

strongminded