Author Topic: Out of gas  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Ayonbaner

• XR Member
Re: Out of gas
Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 06:27:00 PM
Of course, that goes without saying...:)

Offline nzmike

• XR Member
Reply #11 on: November 02, 2020, 07:27:51 AM
I'm just grateful the F900's have a fuel gauge - and a reliable one at that.  I owned an original 2014 R nineT for over two years and it had no gauge so I had to write an app for my phone to keep track of the mileage and fuel stops so I could work out when I needed to refuel. And before that I had the F700GS which had the most unreliable fuel gauge ever - I think it was to do with the shape of he tank under the seat but it would go from 1/3 full on the gauge to nothing (with warnings on) in a flash though from experience I always knew when that happened I still had about 100 kms left in it.  They checked it at two services but then the service manager just came clean and admitted it was useless!
Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 07:29:06 AM by nzmike

Offline brucedimon

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Reply #12 on: December 04, 2020, 04:41:12 AM
I read that running the gas tank dry too often can damage the catalytic convertor because it would allow the wrong exhaust (fuel?) and air mixture in the cat. I do not understand it. I did not know that it could damage the pump.

The lowest I ever got on fuel was when the display told me I had 9 miles left and it took 3.96 US gallons to fill the tank. According to the BMW website, the F900XR has 4.1 US gallons (3.4 UK Gallons or 15.5 Liters) of Usable Tank Volume. That tank took me 209 miles (336 Km) so I assume 200 miles per tank at my average consumption of 55 MPG US (66 MPG UK or 4.28 l/100Km).

I use regular gas which has 87 octane (AKI). That's what the American owner's manual recommends.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #13 on: December 04, 2020, 06:38:18 AM
The way I understand it is that the Fuel Pump is submerged in the Tank. Which to me that means that it's getting cooled by the Fuel. If you run the tank almost dry the Pump gets hot and could overheat in time and stop working as happens in motor cars. That's my understanding of these in tank pumps. :038:                 

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 03:33:50 PM
*Originally Posted by LP17 [+]
The way I understand it is that the Fuel Pump is submerged in the Tank. Which to me that means that it's getting cooled by the Fuel. If you run the tank almost dry the Pump gets hot and could overheat in time and stop working as happens in motor cars. That's my understanding of these in tank pumps. :038:               

Yes, that is exactly what the risk is.  It's not something that happens all at once, it's cumulative wear and tear.  The issue is when a person consistently runs their tank almost dry trying to squeak out an extra trip before refueling, that adds up and and will lead to premature failure.  Ideally you just stop for fuel when the light comes on and consider what's left your 'reserve' that's there for an emergency.