Author Topic: BMW R1200RT  (Read 451 times)

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Dundee
BMW R1200RT
on: July 25, 2020, 09:42:03 PM
I started out on British bikes a very long time ago, but the majority of bikes I've had since then have been Japanese - Kawasaki, Yamaha, Suzuki but (strangely) never a Honda. Sprinkled in among them have been a Triumph 1200 Trophy, a MZ 125 and a Piaggio MP3.  Most recently though, my last four bikes have been BMW R1200RTs.
My Yamaha FJR1300 was traded for a nearly new R1200RT in 2008.  This was traded for a twin cam in 2010 which was in turn traded for the last of the twin cams in 2013 - a special edition in black and gold which was a superb bike and took me all around the Baltic Sea, and around the Nurburgring.
The bike which I have had since 2016 is the water cooled R1200RT, which came with keyless ride, up and down quick shifter, central locking, cruise control. etc etc .....
My decision to replace this with a F900XR is not based on not liking the R1200RT, only on the realisation that, at 72, I am less able than I used to be to manhandle a big heavy bike at very low speed. I have to push my bike up into my garage and it gets harder every year. Even rolling it out of the garage is a worry.  The F900XR is some 50 or 60 kgs lighter, and this makes all the difference in the world.
So, the F900XR TE will not be a R1200RT, but overall it will better suit my needs - I hope.
The F900XR is being pushed as a bike for people aspiring to a R1250GS or a S100XR, but I am downsizing rather than lusting after something bigger.  How many people on this website are going "up" and how many are going "down". ?

Offline Mad Tenor

• XR Pro
Re: BMW R1200RT
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 10:17:55 PM
After 45 years of biking, health problems nearly forced me to give up...... so I sold my 1200GS (my 4th.....). Unexpected recovery meant I toyed with getting a “small” bike and after enjoying the process of test riding multiple options, settled on “downsizing” to the 900R. Fits me like a proverbial glove and haven’t had so much two-wheeled fun in years! 😊 Enjoy your XR; you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what it can do, especially after it’s run in and you can wind it open.......😉

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 11:26:32 AM
Welcome and enjoy. :400:

Offline brucedimon

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 09:33:20 PM
I am 61 and have no trouble yet pushing my 2005 R1200RT around the garage but it is a matter of time. I keep bikes a long time. I bought my current bike used in 2010 with 42,000 mile on it and now have 157,000 miles (253,000KM). Things are wearing out. The previous bike was a 1989 Gold Wing that I bought new and rode for 260,000 miles (419KM) before a carburetor problem killed it. So if I buy a new bike, I expect 15 years of use from it.

What I buy this year, I expect to keep until age 76.  :033: Hmm, for the sake of my future self, it sounds like I should avoid the 800 pound Gold Wing but the new R1250RT should be fine. How much does it cost?  :012:

A test ride on the F900XR left me grinning. It's much lighter than an RT but seems to have more power than my 15 year-old bike. The price is much better (need to save for retirement).

So I bought the F900XR base model and told the dealer to add:
•   Cruise control Option code 538
•   Heated grips Option code 519
•   Luggage carrier for panniers and top box (I would like to use my 28 Liter top box from my 2005 R1200RT) –
•   Touring Cases in white
•   Centre stand Option code 636
•   Tyre Pressure Control (TPC) Option code 530

Thankfully, BMW in USA has a sale on adding some "factory" options after the sale. It's about a third off the price so it's not too much extra. I'm paying way too much for the TPC because it's in the sale.

I did not want to wait for a custom order because I signed for Reg Pridmore's two-day track school, www.classrides.com. I planned to ride my R1200RT but its rear wheel bearing and swingarm pivots are bad. The bike is too old to put that much money in. I decided to buy a new bike rather than lose the money on the class. 

My riding includes commuting, day trips, and long tours. I know the F900XR will not be nearly as comfortable crossing Kansas as my RT was but it should be okay with the addition of a larger windscreen and softer seat. From my home to my daughter's home is 1,660 miles (2,670KM). Since she lives in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, I like to ride to visit her.  :028:

gogs01, I expect to still be riding my F900XR when I am your age. I am downsizing for some of the same reasons you stated. Also, I like sportier riding and expect the 900 to be more fun in the mountains. Lower cost of purchase and ownership are also considerations. I hope it has fewer repair bills than my R1200RT had.  :015:

strongminded