Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 2115 times)

Michwep, Shadey, racautanu and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Engine start issues
on: July 24, 2020, 01:47:11 PM
So my XR has 3500 km and it seems to have the same problems on cold start as the 850gs. It happened to me 2 days in a row at around 18 degree Celsius: it started and it stoped imediately  3-4 times in a row. I had to give it a bit of gas like 20 seconds to keep the engine on. I will try to film it next time and send it to dealer. Anyone else with this problem? maybe a solution?

Online Palmetto900

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Greenville, SC
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 02:42:38 PM
Yep I have the exact same thing happen pretty consistently. I twist the throttle slightly while hitting the starter the first time after the bike has sat for more than 24 hours and that fixes it. I don't think it's necessarily an "issue" with the bike, just an uncommon characteristic in the bike world.

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 03:19:43 PM
I switch from 95 gas to 100 and the problem is gone

Offline Gery

• XR Newbie
Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 07:15:53 AM
I have the same issue basically every time I start the bike after a 24 hour period. Only the 4-5th time it stays on if i help a little with the throttle. This is with 100octane fuel.
Still breaking her in with around 500km on the clock so i hope the first service and maybe an update will solve it.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 10:27:27 AM
Not sure your first service will have any results. If it does not start the first time give it some throttle rather than wait for the same thing to happen 3-4 times. I had to do the same a couple of times after the first Service. These bikes probably run so lean that this could be an ongoing issue.I have run on 95 and 98 Fuel. I must point out that running my R 1200 RS on 98 caused the same issues. Running on 95 seem to fix that problem.Good luck. :152:

Offline Gery

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 01:14:52 PM
Thatís what i do and only able to get it idle after the 4th time usually.
Thanks i will try it with 95 on the next fill up.
While I understand euro 5 and lean fueling, i still expect it to start without extra effort.
Anyway i will have it checked on the first service and try the regular 95.
 :028:

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 10:39:01 AM
That is annoying and should not happen in modern bikes.Hope there is a cure. :138:

Offline BazG XR

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 10:52:18 AM
*Originally Posted by LP17 [+]
That is annoying and should not happen in modern bikes.Hope there is a cure. :138:
I agree it should not happen. My XR would not start on a cold morning in Brisbane. After second attempt yes it stuttered into action. Mentioned this at the run in service and was told the EU5 ecu does not tolerate OZ 95 premium fuel. Suggested switch to regular 91 Ron.  Problem solved starts every time and no noticeable changes to performance or economy. Might try 95 again in summertime. Cheers.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 11:21:51 AM
Have you all tried 98 BP? It seems to be working on my bike.Good luck.

Offline Hanes69

• XR Newbie
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 11:56:04 AM
As I already mentioned in another thread, I got an information from serviceman that it is caused by spark plugs which hardly handle cold start.
They should be testing new spark plugs in BMW and they should call for quarantee replacement of spark plugs in the autumn, at least according to serviceman in BMW Motorrad.