Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 14319 times)

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #100 on: February 09, 2021, 05:12:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
Did your problem go away soon after the first service?
No, I changed to regular about 150-200 miles before the first service, and that's when the issue abruptly vanished.  However, I did not re-test premium fuel again until a few hundred miles after the first service, so I can't say for sure whether first-service-related changes made the difference when running premium, I know the techs did clear all of the underlying data in my OBD system because I checked all systems for faults before and after the first service using the MotoScan app, had a few minor faults before, nothing after, these are the small sensor outputs that will not trigger a light on the dash, and will not be reported to you by your technician. 
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
Agree with your assessment of RON. 98 is more expensive and some claim it burns hotter although others claim that is rubbish. Not a smart idea to use it if the manufacturer says 95 or 91 unless of course the owner thinks the engine runs better - go for it. 
Right, there are way too many widely accepted myths and misconceptions about octane ratings and fuel quality to dispel them all.
Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 05:13:38 AM by patgm

Offline Astro

• XR Pro
Reply #101 on: February 28, 2021, 08:33:30 AM
I went back to 98. Starting issue returned immediately. Just sayin...

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Reply #102 on: February 28, 2021, 08:44:11 AM
*Originally Posted by Astro [+]
I went back to 98. Starting issue returned immediately. Just sayin...
Interesting, how many km are on the bike? I've been running 'regular' (87 aki) and haven't had cold start issues since ~500 miles (800 km), regardless of what fuel I use. I'm at 1500 miles (2400km) now. It does seem that higher octane fuel is either neutral, or harmful, but almost never beneficial. It's going to be hard to get some people to accept that though.

Offline Astro

• XR Pro
Reply #103 on: February 28, 2021, 08:49:09 AM
*Originally Posted by patgm [+]
Interesting, how many km are on the bike? I've been running 'regular' (87 aki) and haven't had cold start issues since ~500 miles (800 km), regardless of what fuel I use. I'm at 1500 miles (2400km) now. It does seem that higher octane fuel is either neutral, or harmful, but almost never beneficial. It's going to be hard to get some people to accept that though.

5000+klms now.... I'll just use 91. It starts perfectly on 91. It's cheaper. I can't notice any performance or economy differential. 91 is at every fuel station. The BMW oz site says any unleaded fuel. 🤫

Offline Cyclone7

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Perth, WA
Reply #104 on: February 28, 2021, 09:08:03 AM
Agree with you Astro.  Every time I have 98 in the tank the bike doesn’t  like to start.  Use 91 or 95 she is good as gold.  Like you I cannot pick any performance drop off. 

:821:

Offline racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #105 on: March 17, 2021, 10:56:22 PM
got the ecu update last year and the problem dissapeared. Yesterday I started the bike for the first time in the last 3-4 months at 0 degrees Celsius and guess what - it started perfectly again...

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #106 on: March 18, 2021, 12:54:09 AM
A good endorsement for anyone unsure about getting the ECU update.
I had 3 months of perfect starts until I filled up with 95 from a budget fuel station. Then had four or 5 three stab starts until I used the tank and refilled with 95 from a Shell station. Since then no problem. This is consistent with many others experiences that fuel type including no doubt the specific quality as well as octane can affect starting. BMW really do need to address the issue as it is not in my view entirely fixed by the ECU update. Very likely to relate to emission control settings which EU and Germany in particular place more importance on than life itself.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #107 on: March 19, 2021, 06:56:22 AM
Hi. I have now travelled 6500 Km and using BP 95 over most of this time the Starting issues have gone away. I will not go back to 98 which
seemed to make matters worse but I will stick to BP which is my preferred fuel choice. That's just my humble opinion but it's working well
for me in the last 3-4 fuel fills.
Good luck :028:

Offline GeorgeB

• XR Newbie
Reply #108 on: April 10, 2021, 11:37:52 PM
*Originally Posted by racautanu [+]
Update: so it's been a month since ecu update and I think the issue is solved for me...It seems to start without any struggle at temperatures between 8 degrees to 25 degrees celcius with 95 or 100 fuel. I started it after 2 days, 4 days, 1 day and everything was fine. My cold start issue got pretty bad before taking it to the dealer: it was always starting after 3 or 4 attempts..The only fail I got was with an empty fuel tank (0 range)
Salutare! La ce dealer ai fost pentru ecu remaping?