Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 12286 times)

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #80 on: January 18, 2021, 03:10:32 AM
Yep they are the symptoms. Prior to software update I had to go into iPhone and force a Bluetooth reconnect to bike after a pit stop. If I forgot I would lose the ride segment. Itís obvious if it hasnít reconnected as the local speed limit symbol doesnít appear on the bike display.
Every start since upgrade has been instant. My dealership maintenance manager listened to my explanation and I talked about this forum. He didnít hesitate to do the software upgrade. I have let him know it worked and should be done to every bike.

Offline Astro

• XR Member
Reply #81 on: January 20, 2021, 01:20:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
Yep they are the symptoms. Prior to software update I had to go into iPhone and force a Bluetooth reconnect to bike after a pit stop. If I forgot I would lose the ride segment. Itís obvious if it hasnít reconnected as the local speed limit symbol doesnít appear on the bike display.
Every start since upgrade has been instant. My dealership maintenance manager listened to my explanation and I talked about this forum. He didnít hesitate to do the software upgrade. I have let him know it worked and should be done to every bike.

I've done over 1000klms with 91 in it now. Have not had it fire on first stab and stop once since the second tank of 91. Could just be coincidence, but I'm reluctant to swap back as nothing else has been changed.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #82 on: January 20, 2021, 05:07:01 AM
Of course the bike and software is designed to run on 91, 94E10, 95, or 98. The recommended is 95 which is probably a sweet spot for the ECS and spark timing. Whilst Iím sure all are safe for the engine I doubt that all produce optimum performance. This is a 13:1 compression engine and Iím surprised they didnít opt for 98 as the recommended. Software can make anything work but high performance engines including high compression engines are more prone to preignition on lower octane and this is corrected through spark timing which prevents pinging but can impact performance. If 98 had solved the start issue for me then no issue - but it didnít. I was going to try 94E10 but decided the connectivity issue alone warranted software update. As luck would have this comprehensively fixed the start issue on 95. Was never keen to run long term on 91. Counterintuitive to everything I know about engines.

Offline bb

• XR Newbie
Reply #83 on: January 22, 2021, 08:03:03 AM
I'm happy to report that after the last update the bike now starts right up.

It's now literally better than new.

Offline Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #84 on: January 22, 2021, 08:37:20 AM
Great news. Makes you wonder what sort of bug was in the ECS. Can be fun finding creative solutions but so much better when it is instantly fixed and the engine starts as it should. Most of us own cars where you press a button once and the start process is managed instantly. Seems weird that an engine on a modern bike would need us to hold down the starter button or keep pressing it after each failure. Our German friends seem to place higher priority on emissions than reliable starts and in the case of some vehicles they love to give you regular screen reminders of privacy options and safety messages. We obviously canít be trusted - more likely they feel the need to indemnify themselves against claims we didnít know.

Offline bb

• XR Newbie
Reply #85 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:30 AM
*Originally Posted by Jggpossum [+]
Makes you wonder what sort of bug was in the ECS.

Makes me wonder what sort of bug might be in ABS, throttle control and other scary places. :003:

Offline bb

• XR Newbie
Reply #86 on: February 04, 2021, 07:50:27 AM
*Originally Posted by bb [+]
I'm happy to report that after the last update the bike now starts right up.

For a week. The issue persists. Next update is supposed to come in March.

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #87 on: February 04, 2021, 06:11:00 PM
Ask them to do the same as to my bike - WB10K1107L6D32291

Offline Astro

• XR Member
Reply #88 on: February 08, 2021, 12:38:54 AM
I'm still unsure it's not just a fuel issue. I filled up with 98 at the end of the last ride, rode 15klms to home. Started it yesterday.... Took three tries before it ran. 🤔

Offline Cyclone7

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Perth, WA
Reply #89 on: February 08, 2021, 02:06:29 AM
I agree with you that not using 98 octane does indeed fix the problem, well on my bike at least it did. However I believe there is another issue as the problem only occurs on the very first start of the day.  If it was fuel related I would think the starting issue would occur on every start?

Keep safe :152: