Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 9617 times)

zsguerreiro, Michwep, Jggpossum and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #60 on: November 14, 2020, 02:37:04 AM
The ECU does adapt, but over a few hundred miles, not a few thousand.
Here's something I've noticed lately on cold morning starts.  If I turn the bike on and wait for the TFT to do it's power on system check, then the bike won't start on the first attempt.  The starter cranks the engine but it won't catch until I release the starter button and try a second time, then it fires right up.  However the last 5-10 times I've started the engine before the TFT finished it's routine and the engine fired right up.  Has anyone else noticed the same?

Offline bb

• XR Newbie
Reply #61 on: November 16, 2020, 07:21:54 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
The ECU does adapt, but over a few hundred miles, not a few thousand.
Here's something I've noticed lately on cold morning starts.  If I turn the bike on and wait for the TFT to do it's power on system check, then the bike won't start on the first attempt.  The starter cranks the engine but it won't catch until I release the starter button and try a second time, then it fires right up.  However the last 5-10 times I've started the engine before the TFT finished it's routine and the engine fired right up.  Has anyone else noticed the same?

Nope, not without constant throttle :002:

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #62 on: November 17, 2020, 01:54:06 AM
Hmm, Hopefully HEX will update the software for the GS911 to include the F900 platform soon and then I can datalog the startup sequence and see if anything pops out.  I'd use the motoscan app, but it doesn't catch as much info for a complete picture.

Offline cope

• XR Newbie
Reply #63 on: November 23, 2020, 07:03:50 PM
So little update on the 2021 F900R I got back in October.  ~ 1850 miles on it now and it seems like the cold starting issue for me is going away.  Haven't noticed it in the last few weeks.  Will start to keep tabs on it to see if its consistent. 

Offline patgm

• XR Member
Reply #64 on: December 10, 2020, 08:41:40 PM
I created a poll to organize the comments in these threads into a more digestible format:

https://www.f900xr.com/index.php/topic,335.0.html

Unfortunately a poll can't be created in a reply to a thread as far as I can see, so I created a new thread for the Poll.

Online Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #65 on: December 14, 2020, 10:33:14 AM
I also have this problem which has steadily got worse over the 2,000km I have been riding. A cold start for me is 25 deg C so it is about the engine having been “cold” rather than the ambient temp. First crank can take 5 seconds to get any ignition and I don’t like the heat smell from the starter motor. Changed from 95 to 98 and probably got worse. Will shortly try 91. I also have phone connectivity issues after stopping and restarting bike. and my TFT is a vs 021 not the latest 022.005.041. Will get TFT upgraded once I have a better idea of the starting issue and whether octane or ECU upgrade is the probable solution. This forum very helpful. My clutch is also somewhat abrupt when cold but I have adapted. I think this is amplified by the relatively high ratio of first gear where lack of revs risks stalling and too much risks launching a bit more quickly than planned - not great when behind another car at traffic lights. BMW could have opted for a lower first gear ratio which would work better. Also would give a lower speed at idle in very slow crawling traffic instead of constant declutching.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #66 on: December 14, 2020, 03:16:16 PM
The software update will help with the connectivity, that was one of the issues that resolved with my bike.  They will update the software package for the entire bike, not just the TFT so it'll be like starting over on day one with any starting issues, so there's no point in waiting.  My starting issues began after the update, but then resolved themselves within a week or so as the ECU went through the adaptation process.
The clutch is also a well known issue and you might as well start that process now too since they have to order parts.  Then you can get it done all at the same time in one visit.

Offline Gery

• XR Member
Reply #67 on: December 26, 2020, 01:32:03 PM
Hey guys,

I forgot to post an update on the cold start issue. As i posted, mine was really bad during the first 1000km. Only started for the 3-4th try with throttle help with premium fuel. A little better - but still not good - with regular 95 fuel.

After the first service at around 1100km, it was night and day. Since then it fires up for the first try every time and with premium 100 fuel. So, all good now.

Offline Cyclone7

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Perth, WA
Reply #68 on: January 05, 2021, 07:53:33 AM
Had 10,000 km service yesterday . TFT upgraded to 022.005.041 which according to BMW here is the latest version. Have not noticed any changes but have had connectivity issues so they may have fixed by this?

Online Jggpossum

• XR Member
Reply #69 on: January 17, 2021, 05:19:22 AM
Got the upgrade to 022-005-041 two weeks ago and have been on 6 rides since. Starts perfectly now every time and the bike reconnects to the BMW Connected app on my iPhone automatically after each pit stop on a ride which it wasn’t doing before. Running on 95 RON. My fuel economy has improved also. A must do upgrade I think.