Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 4046 times)

Offline racautanu

• XR Member
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 12:03:44 PM
2+ weeks after the ECU update I had only 1 cold start fail with an almost empty fuel tank (0 km range).  It starts ok after 2-3 days break or 10 degrees celsius. For me it's a huge improvment with cold start and I tried both 95 and 100 fuel.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 09:25:48 AM
That sounds promising. My bike is getting the ECU and TFT update today. I was told that process takes 5 hours. I don't mind  :152:

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 03:35:50 PM
Length of time depends on what version you're currently on, and if I'm right all the 900s are on a version that only takes 60-90 minutes.  That's how long mine took and I've heard the same from a few others coming off the previous software version.

Online Michwep

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Namur
Reply #33 on: September 29, 2020, 07:30:34 PM
Hello, what is the number of the new version that corrects the problem? Thank you

Offline racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 01:36:04 PM
I don't know exactly how to check the ecu version. The version from settings is for the connectivity sw. If you can give me some details about how to check it I will come back to you

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 03:26:48 PM
The TFT software version is found in one of the menus.  The software for the different modules on the bike will need to be found through a hardware interface.  I don't know that the Motoscan app reads this out, never looked.  I do know that the GS911 will read it out through the Autoscan function.  This is how I know what changed on mine, I ran an scan when I got the bike and another after it went in for the update.

Offline racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 08:12:04 PM
Unfortunately I don't have an obd tool.. Maybe when it will be out of warranty..

Online Michwep

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Namur
Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:53 PM
Thank you anyway, I thought I saw it in the settings - information but it is only the TFT software version.My mistake  :138:

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #38 on: October 05, 2020, 01:21:07 PM
My bike has been at the dealership since last Monday. Today they called and basically said they can't fix the cold start issue  :151: Did the software update, several of you wrote about, make a difference? Racautanu advised his bike appears to be fixed.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #39 on: October 05, 2020, 03:23:46 PM
Mine didn't have a cold start issue, it went in for a TFT connectivity issue, but when they update software, they update the whole bike not just one part.
Two weeks since that update and these are my observations.  My BT issues are almost completely resolved and my QS is smoother on upshifts.  The first four cold starts (M-Th mornings) the engine would turn over on the first start, but not catch and run.  Second press of the button and all was well.  Then on the fifth day (Fri) it caught on the first try and it's been fine ever since.  My theory is that the update reset all the adaptations and the ECU needed to teach itself a new open loop map for cold starts and once it had done that it's been fine.  That said, my temporary cold start issue doesn't sound like anyone else's since you guys are saying that your bikes would start but then die and mine wouldn't start at all.

strongminded