Author Topic: Engine start issues  (Read 2114 times)

Michwep, Shadey, racautanu and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Varna
Re: Engine start issues
Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 06:28:45 AM
The same issue with mine. When cold, It starts from the 3-4 time. It's at 500km now. So far I filled only v-power racing 100. It started right up when I got it from the dealer. Probably some magical Berlin fuel  :001:

Offline Hanes69

• XR Newbie
Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:34 AM
No magical fuel necessary, dealer only started bike in the morning  :001:

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 10:42:05 PM
*Originally Posted by Gery [+]
Thatís what i do and only able to get it idle after the 4th time usually.
Thanks i will try it with 95 on the next fill up.
While I understand euro 5 and lean fueling, i still expect it to start without extra effort.
Anyway i will have it checked on the first service and try the regular 95.
 :028:
Yes it should start.There is no excuse. I was watching some guys today trying to kill a 30 years old Dacia 1.4 engine. After 5 liters of cooking oil, 1 soda, 1 nut, a lot of rust and plastics, 4l of cola and 5-8 liters of water it was still starting on first try.

Offline Milen Dimitr

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Varna
Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 10:00:06 PM
This is a video I made to send to the dealership:

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 02:38:38 AM
That's very similar to my bike.Opening the throttle helps at times but it is an issue. We are in a lock down with dealers doing essential work only so can't get anything done plus we can't ride so no point worrying whether the bike starts on the first or fourth try. :020: :157: :232:

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 07:24:08 AM
So yesterday I got the bike from the dealer (I had 4 warranty issues). They updated ECU mapping, connectivity software, the lights software and changed a brake light switch. They took the bike for a whole week and checked every day the cold start after the update and said it started perfectly. Today I also had the chance to test the cold start at 14 degrees celsius and started perfectly. I also feel a small improvment on the quickshifter and engine response. My cold start issues started at 2000km and got worse day by day till it was never starting from first try. I will keep you updated about the fix.

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 05:30:56 AM
Update : started it today at 10 degrees after a 2 days pause and it started perfectly. If you read my previous posts, you will see my issue got worse from 2000km till the point where it was never starting without 3-4 attempts. So I think the ecu update is our solution. Better spark plugs might also help a bit. Cheers!

Offline Cyclone7

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Perth, WA
Reply #17 on: September 19, 2020, 12:38:09 AM
I had the same issue, first start of the day would take four attempts.  Was running on 98 octane.  Have changed fuel to 95 octane and even 91 octane when 95 is not available. Bingo starts first time every time!

Not sure why this is the case but for those in Australia try changing the octane.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #18 on: September 19, 2020, 01:26:26 AM
While I haven't had any cold start issues, I have had some connectivity issues, a clutch issue and the lens on the LED headlight is hazing.  Dropped the bike off this morning got it back 4 hours later.  They updated all the software/firmware that was out of date, which looks like the same list mentioned above.  I did notice a new firmware number for the body controller too which is part of the ESA system.  A new clutch (or parts) are on order and a claim has been entered for the headlight assembly.
I thought that maybe the quickshifter felt a little smoother on the ride home, but it's probably too soon to tell for sure.  I did try and force the TFT to drop my headset connection using one of the triggers I know of, and it held on.  Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and the other triggers will prove to be resolved as well.

Online racautanu

• XR Member
Reply #19 on: September 19, 2020, 07:17:01 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
While I haven't had any cold start issues, I have had some connectivity issues, a clutch issue and the lens on the LED headlight is hazing.  Dropped the bike off this morning got it back 4 hours later.  They updated all the software/firmware that was out of date, which looks like the same list mentioned above.  I did notice a new firmware number for the body controller too which is part of the ESA system.  A new clutch (or parts) are on order and a claim has been entered for the headlight assembly.
I thought that maybe the quickshifter felt a little smoother on the ride home, but it's probably too soon to tell for sure.  I did try and force the TFT to drop my headset connection using one of the triggers I know of, and it held on.  Hopefully it wasn't a fluke and the other triggers will prove to be resolved as well.
My connections were getting deleted every 20-30 starts. I reported the issue via the app and it was a known issue. By the way, what problems do you jave with the clutch?

strongminded