Author Topic: Sat Nav Power Connector  (Read 3178 times)

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Re: Sat Nav Power Connector
Reply #10 on: December 18, 2020, 08:22:53 AM
Interesting to see replies as I still haven't found it....

Offline Idstah

• XR Newbie
Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 01:06:16 PM

Just below the right hand side headlight there is another connector. It looks like it is plugged in and in-use so at first I ignored it. But actually it is just plugged in to keep it clean. There are no pins or electrical connections inside, it is just a empty holder.

So I took the connector out of the holder and connected it to the cable I'm using to power the USB connector. It works fine. There's no on-screen errors and bike rides fine with no malfunctions.

Hope that helps. Reply if you need more help.

Cheers,

David.

Offline 10tenmen

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Bridlington
Reply #12 on: December 18, 2020, 10:29:56 PM
Yes thatís it, there is a blank plugged in same as the pro mode socket under the tool kit, nippy normans sell the plug to wire in a none Bmw device.

Offline lu3flo

• XR Newbie
Reply #13 on: June 08, 2021, 01:57:02 AM
Hi,

Sorry for wake up an old post, but i consider it very interesting. Does any one knows the name or reference of that empty plug?

Thanks in advance.  :763:

Offline Idstah

• XR Newbie
Reply #14 on: June 08, 2021, 07:17:19 AM
Hi, they are referred to as canbus ports because they have three wires. Two of the wires are power (I. E. Negative and positive) and the third is a control wire connected to the bikes various control units.

If you want the spare plug search for "BMW Motorrad Genuine Motorcycle Repair Connector 3 Pole 611656 8330 0413585"

611656 is the part number you will need.

I hope that helps. If I misunderstood the question just let me know and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers,

David.

Offline lu3flo

• XR Newbie
Reply #15 on: June 08, 2021, 05:21:19 PM
Great!!!

That's exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you so much David!.  :046:

I think this is the most natural way to connect alternative devices to the original GPS holder as a mobile phone to the bike avoiding direct connection to the battery.

By the way, is there a similar connection under or near the seat prepared for connecting devices? In my old motorcycle I had a GPS locator with its own battery and in this way I did not need to connect directly to the battery, preventing the battery drain. (I'm not talking about the Hella connector, useful for other purposes).

Regards,

Luis

Offline Idstah

• XR Newbie
Reply #16 on: June 08, 2021, 10:53:29 PM
The only connector I've ever found at the rear is under the tool kit that is under the seat. It is a two cable connector (so not a 3 cable CANBus). It's a 1718555-1 connector which is fairly standard in BMW cars and bikes. But I'm not sure how much power you can draw from it.

Let me know if you manage to use it for anything. It would be good to find out what you can and can't run off of that power connector.

Good luck.

David.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2021, 11:48:48 PM
*Originally Posted by Idstah [+]
The only connector I've ever found at the rear is under the tool kit that is under the seat. It is a two cable connector (so not a 3 cable CANBus). It's a 1718555-1 connector which is fairly standard in BMW cars and bikes. But I'm not sure how much power you can draw from it.

Let me know if you manage to use it for anything. It would be good to find out what you can and can't run off of that power connector.

Good luck.

David.

Right at the back under the toolrack under the seat is a full Canbus connection where I will plug in my Denali Cansmart which will power and control my auxiliary light, GPS and mobile USB connections.

Offline Idstah

• XR Newbie
Reply #18 on: June 09, 2021, 08:18:19 AM
Always good to know, I'll take another look. I was thinking of fitting courtesy lights into the panniers so when I open them a light comes on. Great for camping and winter rides where it gets dark early.  :763:

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #19 on: June 09, 2021, 09:30:43 AM
*Originally Posted by Idstah [+]
Always good to know, I'll take another look. I was thinking of fitting courtesy lights into the panniers so when I open them a light comes on. Great for camping and winter rides where it gets dark early.  :763:
Hard wiring lights in/on panniers is fine until you want to take the panniers off for whatever reason. You would need some sort of waterproof, reliable  quick connector.

strongminded