Author Topic: Handlebar vibration  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Bmerlassy

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Apple Tree Creek
Re: Handlebar vibration
Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 11:39:32 AM
*Originally Posted by rlmr [+]
Not experienced any vibration problems, however, like all of the BMWs since 2000 or so, the handlebar grips are "thin" and with larger (now ageing) hands this can be a pain - literally.  I put up with this design fad with my various BMW until my 2014 R1200RT at which point I fitted Grip Puppies.  Suffice it to say Grip Puppies (overpriced pipe insulation) were fitted to my F9XR soon after the bike was delivered.

Usual rider, I have no association with the manufacturer or sellers of Grip Puppies and other add-on Grips are available.
Have you noticed if the grip puppies affect the efficiency of the heated grips? I have been looking at these also but Iím a sook and want warm palms in winter too  :001:

Offline rlmr

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Cupar
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2020, 12:03:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Bmerlassy [+]
Have you noticed if the grip puppies affect the efficiency of the heated grips? I have been looking at these also but Iím a sook and want warm palms in winter too  :001:

To be honest I have not had the need of the heated grips since I fitted the Grip Puppies, which is quite strange for anyone from Scotland, given our usual weather  :190: however on my last bike (R1200RT) I found the heated grips to be as effective with the GPs fitted.  Perhaps slightly longer to get up to temperature, but not by much.  The advertising blurb says there is no adverse effect and I won't take issue with them.  The only down side is the cost... as a Scot I am loathed to pay £13.99 for 2 x 4" lengths of "special" pipe insulation  :005:

I have a great pair of Alpine Stars Winter gloves, but they are so well insulated I don't wear them these days, I prefer to wear the BMW two in one gloves, using the "Grip" option over the "Waterproof" option unless it is really wet, just so I can get the benefit of the heated grips.  Hope this helps.

Offline Bmerlassy

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Apple Tree Creek
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:27 PM
Cheers. :763:
Ps here in Aus they are called pussy grips  :008:

Offline Mayan

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Sevenoaks
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 09:59:27 PM
BMW have checked bike and state it is ok. BMW confirmed risers will not result in any vibrations. Tried puppies whilst they work I found them too thick. I will try bar end weights to resolve
Mayan🏍

Offline XRDave

• XR Newbie
Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 01:54:43 PM
Have you checked for correct torque of the screws on the handlebar clamps. That can make a difference.

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 03:21:09 PM
It looks like Evotech makes a nice set of bar end weights that are stainless steel the stock weights are just alloy, that should add some good weight.

Online Palmetto900

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Greenville, SC
Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 05:16:11 PM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
It looks like Evotech makes a nice set of bar end weights that are stainless steel the stock weights are just alloy, that should add some good weight.

I have the Evotech bar end weights on order; made it across the pond and just waiting for USPS now... I'll report back on performance

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 05:41:07 PM
Cool, I got the R&G bar end protectors since they work with the factory hand guards.  I was thinking about the Evotech, but since I don't notice any vibes in my bars I decided to go the less expensive route and just get a little extra protection.  One thing I really like about them is that they don't stick out past the hand guards so they don't impact my overall width.
That said, R&G can #%%#* right off, those guys have some of the worst customer service I've ever seen.  They sold me a product they knew wasn't in stock and implied it was.  Then held my other item that was in stock saying they would only ship complete orders.  I cancelled the whole order and sourced some stuff from different distributors.  Then placed a new order for the B/O'd item (the bar ends) when they finally came in.  So they sent it, and my 'uncancelled' order, billed me for everything but shipped the old cancelled order with missing items even though I was charged for them   :211:.  They have been completely unresponsive to emails after they screwed up.  Luckily my credit card company stepped in and is resolving it for me.
I got the radiator guard from Evotech and they have been nothing but awesome and responsive so guess who will get business with me going forward  :150:

Online Palmetto900

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Greenville, SC
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 07:10:29 PM
Finally did a few hundred miles on the bike after having the Evotech bar end weights; they absolutely help minimize the vibration compared to the stock weights. Still a bit of vibe coming though but not the hand numbingness it was before  :152:

Offline Mayan

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Sevenoaks
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 07:40:49 PM
Had evotech bar end weights fitted as they weigh more than competitors. Likewise as palmetto states the vibration has reduced significantly to a more acceptable level. Winter gloves also helped. Gel gloves proved a complete waste of money and time.
Mayan🏍