Author Topic: XR Seat.  (Read 2120 times)

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: XR Seat.
Reply #10 on: July 22, 2020, 07:53:08 PM
I can now confidently say that the BMW comfort seat does get better with miles.  I've had it a few weeks now, maybe 400 miles of riding and it is noticeably better than when I first picked it up.

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Dundee
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 12:00:26 PM
That's really good news for me - I've got a XR TE on order and a comfort seat will be coming with it.
I've specified the seat height reduction (shorter suspension) and the comfort seat will take the seat height back to 825mm, same as the standard bike with standard seat.  My backside didn't reckon much to the standard seat on my test ride !   :114:

Offline Wrighth1

• XR Member
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2020, 08:29:41 AM
Got my XR seat back from the upholsterers yesterday. I must say the difference is amazing and they have done a great job. After meeting up with the guy he reshaped the seat to make it slightly wider, moved the ‘hump’ back 25mm to give more room and raised the front to stop me sliding into the tank all the time. All this for £200!

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #13 on: August 06, 2020, 02:47:52 PM
If my comfort seat isn't comfortable enough, I'll be after you for the name and address of your upholsterer - that's a nice looking seat !   :152:

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2020, 04:55:26 PM
I've just read your earlier post - Ross Hunter in Hinkley ?  I can't find contact details for him.

Offline Wrighth1

• XR Member
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2020, 06:54:35 PM
Hi is CM Seats

http://www.cmseats.co.uk/

You can send it through the mail or visit. I went down for a chat and then got him to courier it back - took 8 days from dropping it off.

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2020, 09:46:44 AM
*Originally Posted by Wrighth1 [+]
Hi is CM Seats

http://www.cmseats.co.uk/

You can send it through the mail or visit. I went down for a chat and then got him to courier it back - took 8 days from dropping it off.

Thanks.  By the time I get the bike, and get enough miles on it to decide I need to improve the seat, it will be winter and I'll be able to do without the seat for a week or two.   :002:

Offline XRDave

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Beith
Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 02:27:40 PM
Just had my longest day on my XR yesterday. Standard seat and standard suspension. The bike has done 2000 miles now and I would say that both the seat and suspension are a lot more compliant than they were from new. I'm now not even looking for a more comfortable seat. Bear in mind when you're testing seats that the clothing you wear has a huge influence on comfort. I wear underwear with no seams, linen trousers then textile motorcycle gear.
I was on the bike from 07.55 to 20.45 and did 428 miles round trip from home to a place called Applecross in bonnie Scotland. Roads are rural A roads and plenty single track B roads with passing places. Temperature was between 10 and 12degC and it rained for about a third of the day so that was interesting too. It's a great bike even without the rider mode option which I don't have. Mine has cruise, heated grips, handguards, Satnav (lifted to above the dash by a Givi mount), centre stand, quick-shift. I added a big sensible front mudguard that works a treat (see my post elsewhere on this forum). Have not yet organised a rear guard to stop the back of my topbox and heels being sprayed with crud.
The bodywork does a perfect job of making a calm air bubble for the rider except for tops of shoulders and helmet. I have the standard (not sports) screen and usually leave it down until the rain comes on.
For those of you looking for something lower and lighter than a gs I would wholeheartedly recommend an XR. The standard Road mode and standard suspension are perfectly good for what I need too.
Ride safe.

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 04:41:37 PM
 :762:  Great Post- very interesting.
I'm hoping to be as happy as you are when my bike arrives in a couple of weeks time.
Can I ask how you find the tank range (miles to low fuel light) on a trip like the one you describe ?  I'm guessing you won't get the 200-250 miles that I get on my RT, but I'm curious to know how much less its likely to be .....

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #19 on: September 11, 2020, 05:10:16 PM
Mileage is really REALLY going depend on you.  I can get anywhere from 150 to 220 miles per tank on mine.  The sweet spot seems to be cruising at about 55mph.  Faster than that and your range will fall from wind resistance, slower is fine but it probably means you're in town with stop and go traffic and that will hurt too.  Then it just depends on how aggressive you are with the throttle.

strongminded