Author Topic: XR Seat.  (Read 2142 times)

Offline XRDave

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Beith
XR Seat.
on: July 15, 2020, 01:01:34 AM
Hi,
I test rode an XR with a standard seat and thought it would be good enough for a long day ride. Having bought an XR and covered 450 miles I reckon I need something more comfortable. Also the fabric on the rider section of the seat is not glued to the foam. Does anyone else find this? I reported it to the agent on day two of ownership and he said its supposed to be like that. I don't think it is.

Anyone tried the Comfort seat?

Online rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: XR Seat.
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 02:54:37 AM
No, the fabric is not glued to the foam, I'm not sure any of my BMWs have been.  It makes it really easy to pull the cover off and customize the padding underneath.  I also have the comfort seat and it's better than the standard, but it's still not perfect.  I had my standard for the first 800 miles and it got better over that time, so I'm hoping the comfort seat will break-in in a similar manner.  If not, then it's off to a shop to have the padding reworked.  I do really like the extra height from the comfort seat though.

Offline gogs01

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Dundee
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 03:27:35 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
..... I also have the comfort seat and it's better than the standard, but it's still not perfect.  I had my standard for the first 800 miles and it got better over that time, so I'm hoping the comfort seat will break-in in a similar manner.  If not, then it's off to a shop to have the padding reworked.  I do really like the extra height from the comfort seat though.

That's interesting - I rode the F900XR with the standard seat yesterday and noticed the seat felt like a plank before I left the dealer's car park.  After a 130 mile test ride I asked the salesman to look at getting me a comfort seat, which I am hoping will be considerably better.   :006:

Offline Dresdner

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 11:05:39 AM
*Originally Posted by gogs01 [+]
That's interesting - I rode the F900XR with the standard seat yesterday and noticed the seat felt like a plank before I left the dealer's car park.  After a 130 mile test ride I asked the salesman to look at getting me a comfort seat, which I am hoping will be considerably better.   :006:

BMW comfort seat is just as firm as the standart just higher by 2cm and a bit wider but not by much, big disappointment

Offline XRDave

• XR Newbie
  • Town / City: Beith
Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 01:08:45 PM
Thanks for the info chaps. Interesting and useful that the cover is not glued on. Gives scope for adding something in there. The most comfortable bike seat I have owned was an R1150R. Think I might buy an old one of them and use some of the foam in the XR and see how that feels. Maybe the top 10mm would be enough to make the difference.

Offline Rinkydink

• XR Pro
Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 09:01:22 PM
I contacted Sargent concerning seat for XR, their reply:

Hello

We do not make a seat for your F900XR at this time although it is possible that we will design one in the future.  Until then we can modify your seat in our Custom Seat Services Dept.   You send us your seat with detailed information on what you are wanting to have done, we redo the seat and send it back to you.  We can add our Super Cell Atomic Foam, and change the shape of the foam for more comfort.     I will enclose a link to our CSS dept.  Print out the order form, fill it out and send it in with your seat.    There is a lot of information on this page,  it may help you get exactly what you are looking for if you read over it.     If you have any other questions, please email, or call us at 1-800-749-7328. 

http://www.sargentcycle.com/Custom-Seat-Services/

Kind Regards

Dane Higgins
Sales/Customer Service
dane@sargentcycle.com
Watch out for blue haired women in big cars.

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 09:27:26 AM
Hi.
I have found a Motor Car trimmer who rides Motor Bikes. He lowers my seat and replaces the foam with Bum friendly Foam.
That cost me $ AU 100.00 about 7 years ago. May cost $150.00 today 

Offline Zente

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 07:16:18 AM
I am in Southern California and the day after I bought my F900XR I took it over to a local that has been doing everything from million dollar cars and boats to aircraft and motorcycles. Yes he rides and has been doing seats for over 35 years. He completely rebuilt my seat after taking measurements with me on it, re-sculpted the foam, added new lower density foam in the right places and reused my original cover. It took him a couple hours and I had the seat the next day for a cost of $100.00 US. It is a night and day difference and I can now ride it 4 or 5 hours with no problems.
He has done a number of seats for me and is the contact my local BMW dealer uses for all custom seats. He told me a very telling ideology he has, designers design motorcycle seats to look good on their motorcycle design, to complement the curves and lines. They don't design seats to to be comfortable that is not their concern. So even after market seats are just a compromise and anyone really interested in proper fit and comfort should have them tailored just like a well fitting suit. He has never failed to deliver for me, and I have more than 50,000 miles on his seats so far. I have spent over 10 hrs a day on them with no complaints.

So moral of all this is... find a local that can do a proper job and spend some time with them, sitting on your bike, taking measurements, and telling them how and where the seat is uncomfortable. Then they should be able to contour and sculpt the seat to you, and pad it so as to support you, but not be hard as a rock, and distribute your weight over your rear end. This should be able to be done for far less than buying a "NEW" seat.

Zente

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 10:38:57 AM
 :762:

Offline Wrighth1

• XR Member
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 07:40:55 PM
Taking my seat in on Friday to have it rebuilt with Ross Hunter in Hinkley Leicester. To recover, reshape and add a gel pad is 215 pounds - a lot less than the 350 plus VAT from BMW!

strongminded