Author Topic: Clutch Issues  (Read 3757 times)

Offline brucedimon

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Re: Clutch Issues
Reply #20 on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:34 PM
To make it easier to find neutral at a stop do this:
Apply light pressure at the shift lever. Hold that pressure as you roll the bike back and forth with your right foot. After several inches of forward and back movement, the bike should shift into neutral.

Bike transmissions do not like to shift unless the rear wheel is moving. A few bikes are obstinate about it.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #21 on: April 13, 2021, 09:19:34 PM
*Originally Posted by brucedimon [+]
To make it easier to find neutral at a stop do this:
Apply light pressure at the shift lever. Hold that pressure as you roll the bike back and forth with your right foot. After several inches of forward and back movement, the bike should shift into neutral.

Bike transmissions do not like to shift unless the rear wheel is moving. A few bikes are obstinate about it.
Not what I expect to have to do for a 16 grande motorbike. My 1st service has sorted it seems.. Clutch realigned and slack taken up.

Offline brucedimon

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Fairfax, Virginia
Reply #22 on: April 14, 2021, 04:33:09 AM
*Originally Posted by Royinspain [+]
Not what I expect to have to do for a 16 grande motorbike. My 1st service has sorted it seems.. Clutch realigned and slack taken up.
True. My 2005 R1200RT and many of the early R1200s were like this too.
Bruce
Northern Virginia, USA
F900XR

Offline LP17

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Reply #23 on: April 14, 2021, 07:42:37 AM
My 2 R1200 RS were much better in finding neutral (Water Cooled models) and as I've said earlier this bike was great for the first 600-700 Km and then Neutral became difficult to find. I'm hoping for a fix at the 12 month service. (New Clutch Ass.) :152: :047:

Offline Toca Codo

• XR Member
Reply #24 on: April 14, 2021, 09:01:08 AM
I took mine to BMW in Barcelona which I always dread, the guy looked at me like I was the biggest #### idiot to ever walk in the shop and tell them my clutch on a brand new bike wasn't working properly, instantly telling me I am wrong whilst sat in his chair and not even seeing the bike (always a good start)

He sat on my bike, moved it back and forth and said it was ok and working normally, however I had issues on the way to the shop with it not going in neutral and another thing I experience is sometimes the screen that displays the gear is just blank and this did happen for him but again no problem here.
He said if it gets worse then waste more time and come back again but I might just take it to a different dealer, one he preferably likes foreign people.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #25 on: April 14, 2021, 09:16:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Toca Codo [+]
I took mine to BMW in Barcelona which I always dread, the guy looked at me like I was the biggest #### idiot to ever walk in the shop and tell them my clutch on a brand new bike wasn't working properly, instantly telling me I am wrong whilst sat in his chair and not even seeing the bike (always a good start)

He sat on my bike, moved it back and forth and said it was ok and working normally, however I had issues on the way to the shop with it not going in neutral and another thing I experience is sometimes the screen that displays the gear is just blank and this did happen for him but again no problem here.
He said if it gets worse then waste more time and come back again but I might just take it to a different dealer, one he preferably likes foreign people.
I'm a Brit living near Barcelona. I went to Motor Mķnich Terrassa who were very helpful and they sorted it out during the 1st service as part of the guarantee with no quibbles. I also have problem with the blank gear indicator screen quite often but it doesn't worry me as much as not being able to get into N.
Contact me via private message if you want more details (or to organise a little route one Sunday morning... 😂)

Offline Toca Codo

• XR Member
Reply #26 on: April 14, 2021, 09:45:37 AM
Good to know, my mrs is originally from Terrassa so I know it well.  As you know we are on lockdown atm and can't leave the comarca but would be up for a ride one Sunday, I often head that way when I can get out into the mountains. 

I will look up the dealer as well, thanks for the info.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #27 on: April 14, 2021, 11:37:08 AM
*Originally Posted by Toca Codo [+]
Good to know, my mrs is originally from Terrassa so I know it well.  As you know we are on lockdown atm and can't leave the comarca but would be up for a ride one Sunday, I often head that way when I can get out into the mountains. 

I will look up the dealer as well, thanks for the info.
Spending almost 16k on a bike with Neutral/Clutch problems is not on. I made it clear to them that it was unacceptable and they sorted it out. Just don't accept no for an answer.

Offline 10tenmen

• XR Pro
  • Town / City: Bridlington
Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 04:15:07 PM
Bmw have just agreed to replace the full clutch in my bike and also fix a sump oil leak, BMW are aware of these problems but they had to replicate it for themselves mine used to struggle to set off when cold and would jump about.
They were excellent and gave me a brand new R1250Rs until itís repaired.

Offline Royinspain

• XR Pro
Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 08:14:47 PM
*Originally Posted by 10tenmen [+]
Bmw have just agreed to replace the full clutch in my bike and also fix a sump oil leak, BMW are aware of these problems but they had to replicate it for themselves mine used to struggle to set off when cold and would jump about.
They were excellent and gave me a brand new R1250Rs until itís repaired.

Glad to hear it!

strongminded