Author Topic: Join from far-east  (Read 178 times)

Offline shige

• XR Newbie
Join from far-east
on: June 29, 2020, 04:09:43 PM
Hi Everybody.

I'm Shige. 50s man now practicing to get a motorcycle license for the first time.
Japanese motorcycle licenses include a 50cc or less that can be used with an car license,
a medium-sized motorcycle license that allows up to 400cc,
and a large motorcycle license that does not have a no limit.

In Japan, it is not allowed to run on public roads until they get a license.
Therefore, it is common to go to a school instructed by an instructor in a closed course.
Those who own a car license will take about 20 hours lesson required to obtain
a medium-sized motorcycle license and a large-sized motorcycle license.

I'm in the middle of a medium sized motorcycle lesson right now.
I couldn't easily book a lesson because the school was temporarily closed due to covid-19,
and I heard that the delivery of the F900XR, which I just want to ride,
would have to wait for half a year at the worst, so I made a bold purchase contract.

I'm worried about the first bike, but it's a big 900cc.
I hear that the F900XR is very easy to handle.
I can't wait to get the license and deliver the F900XR.

When I can ride the F900, nice to meet you all

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Re: Join from far-east
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 05:56:42 PM
As far as actual riding goes, I think the 900XR has been one of the easiest and smoothest bikes I've owned.  It's extremely easy to ride in the lower rpms where the power is very tame and then as you progress you'll get more and more comfortable giving it more throttle and using the power it's capable of.
The downside is that it's heavy for a beginner bike and if you make a mistake there isn't much chance that you'll be strong enough to save it.  One of the most common mistakes new riders make are related to the side stand and the bike simply falls over.  The other is stall the engine while or grab too much front brake, both of those can make the front end dive and if you aren't prepared for it can lead to dropping the bike.  None of these are safety issues, but the bike does cost enough that I'm sure it will be costly to replace any of the fairings.  This is one of the main reasons so many people start on small/cheap bikes.

Offline mtorres

• XR Member
  • Town / City: SAN PEDRO GARZA GARC
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:01:42 PM
hello Shige ,  one very important fact you do not mention is your stature ? ,  I agree it is a "big" motorbike to become your first one and with all the electronic aids  it has ,  there is still a point in which experience helps a lot .  Being a newbie you have a lot to worry about while riding .
We were all newbies once but most of learned in small motorbikes .

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:24:04 PM
I just had a thought, if you really are going to have to wait so long to take delivery then consider getting a smaller used bike to ride until then.  You'll develop your skills and confidence and when your new bike arrives you be ready for it.

Offline shige

• XR Newbie
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 03:21:25 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
The downside is that it's heavy for a beginner bike and if you make a mistake there isn't much chance that you'll be strong enough to save it.  One of the most common mistakes new riders make are related to the side stand and the bike simply falls over.  The other is stall the engine while or grab too much front brake, both of those can make the front end dive and if you aren't prepared for it can lead to dropping the bike.  None of these are safety issues, but the bike does cost enough that I'm sure it will be costly to replace any of the fairings.  This is one of the main reasons so many people start on small/cheap bikes.

Hi rcb78.

Thank you for the very appropriate advice.
In reality, during training, I used to strongly use the front brake to overturn the balance on the right side and try to support it with my right foot, and I had to overthrow the bike.

I use Honda CB-400 at the driving school, but it's heavy even with 400cc. The F900XR I saw when I ordered it from the dealer seemed to be bigger and heavier than the image in the photo.

*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
I just had a thought, if you really are going to have to wait so long to take delivery then consider getting a smaller used bike to ride until then.  You'll develop your skills and confidence and when your new bike arrives you be ready for it.
I will seriously consider it. Thank you.

Offline shige

• XR Newbie
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 03:37:13 AM
*Originally Posted by mtorres [+]
hello Shige ,  one very important fact you do not mention is your stature ? ,  I agree it is a "big" motorbike to become your first one and with all the electronic aids  it has ,  there is still a point in which experience helps a lot .  Being a newbie you have a lot to worry about while riding .
We were all newbies once but most of learned in small motorbikes .
My height is 178 cm (5.8 ft). Do you recommend a low seat option? I want a dynamic ESA, so I will exclude low suspension.

Following your advice, consider riding a 250cc bike for a while.
Thank you.

Offline mtorres

• XR Member
  • Town / City: SAN PEDRO GARZA GARC
Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 05:03:49 AM
I`m 1.78 too and got mine with the stock seat ( 825 mm ) and works great , I sat on a low seat equipped at first ( without knowing it had this seat ) and did not like the feel , once I told the sales person I did not like how it felt he told me it was a low seat .
Order yours Dynamic ESA equipped , works great , I ordered mine fully loaded and I`m glad I did.
Enjoy !!  it is a great motorbike.

Offline shige

• XR Newbie
Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:08:19 AM
*Originally Posted by mtorres [+]
I`m 1.78 too and got mine with the stock seat ( 825 mm ) and works great , I sat on a low seat equipped at first ( without knowing it had this seat ) and did not like the feel , once I told the sales person I did not like how it felt he told me it was a low seat .
Order yours Dynamic ESA equipped , works great , I ordered mine fully loaded and I`m glad I did.
Enjoy !!  it is a great motorbike.

Hi mtorres.
Thanks for the good information.
But Asians may have slightly shorter legs. I will check the low seat.
I can't wait to get on my F900XR.

Offline Mad Tenor

• XR Pro
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:44:29 PM
I知 just 164cm and have the 900R with electronic suspension and standard seat; I tried the low seat but it was too cramped and found the standard seat/ride height was perfect for me! And after 45 years of riding tall bikes (15 on GS痴!), I知 used to just having a toe on the ground! 😂😂😂

Offline shige

• XR Newbie
Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 05:44:37 PM
*Originally Posted by Mad Tenor [+]
I知 just 164cm and have the 900R with electronic suspension and standard seat; I tried the low seat but it was too cramped and found the standard seat/ride height was perfect for me! And after 45 years of riding tall bikes (15 on GS痴!), I知 used to just having a toe on the ground! 😂😂😂

Hi Mad.
Thank you for your interesting opinion.

> I知 used to just having a toe on the ground!
I'm worried about getting in and out of a training bike with both feet sticking and slipping.
After all, it's only been a week since I started practicing on a bike, so compared to your 45 years, an experience that is equal to zero.I want to be able to handle even a bike that is difficult to handle like you. I want to acquire experience and technique from now on.

strongminded