Author Topic: Oil change overflow issue  (Read 294 times)

Offline LP17

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Melbourne
Re: Oil change overflow issue
Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 09:06:38 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
Two potential issues that may be in play here.  First is that there are two oil drain plugs on this engine.  The first is the obvious T50 torx plug on the bottom, the second is the not at all obvious 5mm hex drain plug further up in the engine behind the first plug.  There is about another 1/2 qt (+/-) behind the second plug.
The next potential issue is for an incorrect level reading, make sure your checking the oil while the bike is on a centerstand or other stand that holds the bike vertical and level.  I use the centerstand and then a small jack under a block of wood at the sump plate to lift the front wheel to the same height as the rear.

Based on how far off your reading is, I would suspect that you missed the second drain plug.  I did my 600 mile service last night and it took just a little more than 3 bottles of oil to get a reading in the middle of the dipstick.  BMW Advantec oil is sold in 1L bottles, so that corresponds to just over 3 qts like you were expecting.
Just my point of view. As not all these bikes are fitted with a Center Stand should the oil level be checked on the Side Stand. With my bike I checked the oil level the moment I come home which was about 80 kilometres. Now on the Side Stand the oil level was at the top mark. On the Center Stand the level was or still is after the first service at the Low mark.   :084:

Online Dresdner

• XR Pro
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2020, 10:55:45 AM
*Originally Posted by LP17 [+]
Just my point of view. As not all these bikes are fitted with a Center Stand should the oil level be checked on the Side Stand. With my bike I checked the oil level the moment I come home which was about 80 kilometres. Now on the Side Stand the oil level was at the top mark. On the Center Stand the level was or still is after the first service at the Low mark.   :084:

As said, BMW are filling around the third of the dipstick, i have been told by the dealer not to fill it above half.
I noticed that on the side stand if you have almost half, the oil will drip from filler cup if open, so with oil level up to full on sidestand you will have allot of oil on the floor.

Offline rcb78

• XR Pro
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2020, 04:33:06 PM
I filled with exactly the 3.0 liters (3.2qts) that's stated in the manual and when I checked after riding for a few hours the level was at half or just below on my dipstick while on the centerstand.  When I refilled the oil after draining it wasn't possible to get past 2L while on the side stand without it overflowing.  As for how to actually check the oil, the manual states that it should be on the centerstand of a paddock stand to keep the bike level which is the same way I've had to check the oil for any other bike I've ever owned.  I've never had one where you checked while on the side stand.