Author Topic: Oil change overflow issue  (Read 3751 times)

Offline Billy.ana

• XR Newbie
Re: Oil change overflow issue
Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 09:40:32 AM
I asked my dealer about that and he told me that there is no problem about it and if something went wrong we will replace it under the warranty!

I will probably buy the new castrol racing (https://m.louis.eu/artikel/castrol-power1-racing-4t-hc-synthetic-5w-40/10038390) which has the correct specs for our bike.
Hope that the gears will be smoother and the engine will be rolling better.
Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 09:41:50 AM by Billy.ana

Offline F9XRay

• XR Member
Reply #21 on: May 17, 2021, 05:40:38 PM
*Originally Posted by Billy.ana [+]
I asked my dealer about that and he told me that there is no problem about it and if something went wrong we will replace it under the warranty!

I will probably buy the new castrol racing (https://m.louis.eu/artikel/castrol-power1-racing-4t-hc-synthetic-5w-40/10038390) which has the correct specs for our bike.
Hope that the gears will be smoother and the engine will be rolling better.

Only thing that matters, is that the Oil has a 5W40, API SN, JASO MA-2 Specification.
I buy from a cheap German company without any issues.
~Don't surprise the front brake~

Offline CWMC29

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Windsor, ON, CND
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 12:25:40 AM
Just a quick question regarding the oil filter.  Is the oil filter for the F900XR the same one used in the F850GS?  I have used K&N filters in all of my bikes and super happy with them.   Any other suggestions for oil filters?

My closest dealership is 90 min away, so ordering oil and filter are probably my best bet.

Offline rcb78

• XR Master
Reply #23 on: May 18, 2021, 03:15:29 AM
Yes, it's the same as the 750 and 850 since it's the same engine,, more or less.  The only issue with the K&N is that the bypass valve opens at a pretty low pressure, something like 2 psi.  That means if there is more than a 2psi differential due to the media getting clogged, the filter will go into bypass mode.  The BMW (Mahle) filter along with most reputable filters don't bypass until 10psi or higher.  Believe it or not, the OE BMW filter is actually one of the best in terms of construction quality and sq*in of filtration media.

Offline CWMC29

• XR Member
  • Town / City: Windsor, ON, CND
Reply #24 on: May 18, 2021, 04:50:39 AM
*Originally Posted by rcb78 [+]
Yes, it's the same as the 750 and 850 since it's the same engine,, more or less.  The only issue with the K&N is that the bypass valve opens at a pretty low pressure, something like 2 psi.  That means if there is more than a 2psi differential due to the media getting clogged, the filter will go into bypass mode.  The BMW (Mahle) filter along with most reputable filters don't bypass until 10psi or higher.  Believe it or not, the OE BMW filter is actually one of the best in terms of construction quality and sq*in of filtration media.

Thanks RBC78 for the info. Now I know the proper direction to go now.  It makes life way easier.

strongminded