Author Best Phone Mount Options  (Read 1651 times)

• Offline DogBike   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline DogBike

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: F900XR
    • Town / City: London
    Best Phone Mount Options
    on: October 02, 2022, 07:38:43 pm
    October 02, 2022, 07:38:43 pm
    Dear all,
    There do seem to be a few mentions of phone mounts but am after advice as I want to fit an iPhone probably above the display so that I can see it in line of sight.  What cradles are best, any views on mounts and also how to get power to the cradle for a wireless charger as I don't want to have to fiddle with plugging in each time.
    Any advice welcome!

• Offline Stonesie   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    94

Offline Stonesie

• XR Pro
    • Bike: F900xr
    • Town / City: Doncaster
    Re: Best Phone Mount Options
    Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 08:09:06 pm
    October 02, 2022, 08:09:06 pm
    The GIVI sat nav mount will give you a mounting bar above the dash and I personally relocated the sat nav base there as a tank bag wouldn't fit with it on the bars...
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/666451

For a phone mount I use the connected cradle, it holds my Android phone (OnePlus 10 pro) nice and secure and has either wired or wireless charging. Also whilst using the connected app it is a pretty decent navigator with control through the wonder wheel and menu button. :062:

It's not perfect, today it just refused to connect to the cradle but that was solved by removing and re-installing the app on my phone, I had to download the maps again but all my trips were saved.

• Offline DogBike   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline DogBike

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 11:09:53 pm
    October 02, 2022, 11:09:53 pm
    Do you need the Sat Nav prep for the connected ride, It would be great to have all the functionality but my bike doesn't have the Sat Cradle?

• Offline MotoJoro   bg

• XR Pro  ‐    168

Offline MotoJoro

• XR Pro
    • Bike: F900XR Galvanic Gold
    • Town / City: Sofia
    Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 08:48:55 am
    October 03, 2022, 08:48:55 am
    My bike came with the nav prep unit so after 1 year of thinking and reading I opted with the OEM Cradle option. It mounts on the 4 bolts on your handlebar.
    I have to say I enjoy it A LOT - using your wonderwheel to control your phone is awesome. If android/apple let's them  control other applications like Android Auto/Apple carplay it will be uber!
    The only downside it's pricey, but I think it's a lot better than the chineese rip-offs with their Wireless charging (I don't trust how good they waterproof it).

• Offline Stonesie   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    94

Offline Stonesie

• XR Pro
    • Bike: F900xr
    • Town / City: Doncaster
    Reply #4 on: October 03, 2022, 08:46:46 pm
    October 03, 2022, 08:46:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by DogBike [+]
    Do you need the Sat Nav prep for the connected ride, It would be great to have all the functionality but my bike doesn't have the Sat Cradle?

Yes you need the BMW nav prep to work with the connected ride cradle, there may be a used one on ebay but I don't know if it will need coding to the bikes canbus system.

If you can live without the extra functions then Quadlock seems like a good option and the mirror mount looks like it will fit the bar of the givi bracket, they also do a wireless charging head.

• Offline DogBike   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline DogBike

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: October 06, 2022, 07:33:19 pm
    October 06, 2022, 07:33:19 pm
    I think that I am looking at the Quadlock and one of the above display mounts, the wireless charging looks good but would need some help as to how to get power routed through. Is there an easy way to do this?

• Offline Ethel Vanman   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    55

Offline Ethel Vanman

• XR Pro
    • Bike: F900XR TE
    • Town / City: Cambridge
    Reply #6 on: October 07, 2022, 04:18:03 pm
    October 07, 2022, 04:18:03 pm
     I removed and disconnected the BMW GPS prep, leaving the metal bar. I plugged this adaptor https://www.nippynormans.com/ram-mounts-and-more/bmw-harness-to-female-usb-socket into the connector that was used by the GPS prep, it is in the fairing on the right hand side, there are plenty of explanations on here. I use the wireless quad lock, its excellent.
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

• Offline DogBike   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline DogBike

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: October 09, 2022, 08:06:57 pm
    October 09, 2022, 08:06:57 pm
    Thanks that looks great, first service up soon so am going to see if I can get just the nav mount bracket and see what the dealer can help me with.

• Offline Ethel Vanman   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    55

Offline Ethel Vanman

• XR Pro
    • Bike: F900XR TE
    • Town / City: Cambridge
    Reply #8 on: October 09, 2022, 08:29:26 pm
    October 09, 2022, 08:29:26 pm
    *Originally Posted by DogBike [+]
    Thanks that looks great, first service up soon so am going to see if I can get just the nav mount bracket and see what the dealer can help me with.
    A better view :016: :001:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

• Offline DogBike   gb

• XR Newbie  ‐    10
    • Topic Author

Offline DogBike

• XR Newbie
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 04:56:26 pm
    October 21, 2022, 04:56:26 pm
    I have fitted the Quadlock but as I don't have the nav prep used the Handlebar Pro Mount with the Vibration Dampener and that all works well. Need to fit the wireless charger as after 2 1/2 hours today with the sat nav, audio and some phone calls going the phone came up with a low battery.

You said you fitted the https://www.nippynormans.com/ram-mounts-and-more/bmw-harness-to-female-usb-socket could you let me know where this fitted so that I can see if mine has the connection I can back onto.

If not does anyone know if there is somewhere that I can run power from near the front so that it doesn't drain the battery.  I don't want to cut into the loom a plug and play is good for me so that it looks neat.

I did look at the possibility of running something from the din power socket https://www.nippynormans.com/f800-adventure/nippy-normans-dual-usb-socket-for-bmw-motorcycles-plug-and-play to the front if I cannot get another solution.

Any help would be gratefully received (with pictures and links where possible :001:

Thanks
    Andy

Any ideas?